About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Week 2: Name Colors

As we were reading "aeIou" by Victoria Heath, I wasn't sure if this poem was going to come across as well as I'd hoped. I realized as I was teaching that it was an ambitious assignment: I asked students to imagine that each of the letters of their name has a color--NOT necessarily associated with an object that begins with that letter--and to explore what the significance of that color might be, what came to mind visually with this letter. It was harder than I thought, and required a leap into some abstract thinking (and to fight against the tendency to write acrostic poems, which is not what I was going for). These are a few examples of students who I thought came up with some really interesting stuff. Notice how Giselle came up with a kind of form for her poem, Jacqueline associated her letters very freely, and Joel got caught up exploring just the color black.

I did this assignment with Mrs. Hamdan's class in B15.


###

My Name… (excerpt)
Giselle H.


G for spring. G for green.
I for Illinois. I for pink.
S for summer days. S for yellow sun.
E for enormous. E for red.
L for love. L for red.
L for letter. L for white.
E for stars. E for gold...


Name
Jacqueline V.


Pink is J, is a pen.
J is like a butterfly in the sky.
A is clouds in the sky.
C is a paper to fold.
Q is a paint to paint.
U is a nice name.
E is for a plow.
L is for sunny days.
I for star.
N for apple.
E for birthday.


Black
Joel G.


Black is for a cat
that is in the night
black time. The pencils
are black that the cat
made. The chalkboard is
black that the cat draws.

No comments: