About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Room Poems

This week, students read Weldon Kees' "Robinson." They were asked to describe things in and outside of Robinson's room, as well as how the poem made them feel. They were then asked to write their own room poems.


Ms. Fialkowski (402)


My Home

Janet H.


My kitchen smells good

when my mom is cooking

she never makes cookies

but she makes Mexican

food. When I am eating

Mexican food I remember

when I was in Mexico. When

I am in my kitchen I

hear the cute white

dog barking, his name is

Teddy Bear and he eats

too much like a real bear.

I see my friend jumping

on her trampoline like a

funny bunny.


My Room

Norberto M.


I have a room with a bed, computer, radio,

and with a TV. My bed is a bunk bed,

it looks like a rectangle. My computer is

white. My TV is gray, both of them are

square. My radio is red and black.


The radio is very loud. My room is special

because I have somewhere to sleep. My TV

is special because I could watch it. My

room is clean and will keep clean forever.


My Room

Sergio M.


I see a bed. I see

a big desk and a drawer.

I also see blankets. I

see a dull wall that's just

blue with nothing hanging

from it. I see a heater

and curtains on my window.

I have a big TV and

a computer. I see clothes

in my closet and a

hamper full of clothes.


The Classroom

Marbella R.


The classroom is big,

very intelligent

very helpful for me


It was a library and a

board it has my friends

my very best friends


It has my teacher it

has my locker it has

my stuff in here too


I like this room this

room is where I learn

this room is colorful to

me very helpful too.


Ms. Michel (403)


Untitled (Room Poem)

Griselda A.


Inside my room is my bed, my

mirror, clothes, curtains, walls, and pictures.

The walls are colored pink. I

smell delicious dinner. I hear

my baby sister crying. I feel my

bed so soft. When I wake

up I hear the birds

singing. In my mirror I

see myself dressed up for

school. My curtains feel itchy

against my skin. The walls feel

cold. I have pictures of my

family. My clothes feel soft and

warm. Outside my room is the

kitchen. The stove is colored white.

The sink is colored gray. I

see my mom and dad cooking.


The Gelatin Room

Vanessa L.


The gelatin room is so colorful and fruity.

You can eat it and it grows back. There are Jell-o lamps

and Jell-o mirrors, Jell-o uniforms and Jell-o furniture. When

you smell my room you just want to eat it all, red, blue, orange,

green and yellow, all the Jell-o you can eat

and never worry about not having enough for a party.

Juts come to my room and I will cut you a

piece. The gelatin room is all fruit/ i love

my Jell-o room. You will never

go hungry.


Water Room

Luis O.


If I could build a room, it would be

a water room with a water bed and

if we were thirsty we would just drink

the water from the water bed.


In the Room

Joanna Z.


I can see the bed

I can see the colors

colors are like a rainbow

the colors are red, blue,

green, yellow, orange, pink

I love those colors don't you

I see the mirror reflecting

me I feel the pillow and

my puppy on me I feel

the rug so soft. I hear

the noise of me alone

I see TV yes TV

I see my wall I see

my clothes in the drawers

I see my pictures my family

pictures I see my sofa I see

my stuff I see my room

I see my big room I

see my closet I see my posters

I see my toys and dolls. I see my

mini refrigerator and my

little fountain I see myself

I love my room me inside


Ms. Hughesdon (407)


Kitchen

Anheli D.


The kitchen smells good

It smells good when you make coffee

It smells like soup when

my mom makes soup

There is a table a chair a fridge

a stove everything is in the kitchen

and it smells like cakes when my

mom makes cakes

You can hear all the sounds in the kitchen


Brown kitchen silverware everywhere

wood floor you can see Halloween

stuff all in the kitchen


My Room

Belen F.


My room pink and purple all filled

with colors. And my bed all nice and comfy

you could sleep right away. My walls filled

with posters with different kinds of faces. My

sheets and blankets all soft and comfy

with scents of candy and perfume. I touch

everything and feel like I was on a

pillow. My TV also pink and purple with all

those colorful pictures. My window all

opened up to smell the earth. My canopy on top

of my bed I feel like a princess. Oh my

comfy sheets and pillows. What would I

do without you?


Cousin's Room

Jessica Z.


My cousin's room

has a moon on

his wall he

bought it at the

mall. The walls

are colored light

blue and he also

glued Blue's Clues

on it. He has a

book he took to

school. He has a

bear that he shares.

He also has a

blanket that makes

him warm that

forms a square. He

has a bed that

is thick as a rock.

Lastly he has a night light

turns on at night

shaped as a moon

turns off at noon!


Ms. Montoya (405)


My Room, I Wish, My Wish

Omar G.


My room has a TV the color black

My room has a bed the color white

My room has a carpet the color blue

My room has a wall the color blue


I wish my room had a plasma TV

I wish my room had drawings on the wall

I wish my room had a skate park

I wish my room had a locker


My wish I had was a white carpet

My wish I had was drawings on the wall'

My wish I had was a plasma TV

My wish I had was a locker


My Bedroom

Linet L.


My room is a color creamy.

It has an old TV.

I hate sharing the room with my sister.

I have lots of photographs.

There's two beds in the room.


I have a vase with flowers.

Flowers make me happy.


I hate my sister fighting for the room.

It makes me move to sleep on the couch.


I actually want to change my room.

It doesn't feel comfortable.


It has a window, a mirror, two

beds, and two persons sleeping.


Gray

Ivan M.


A room...

Just a room

With a bed...

Just a bed

A desk with nothing...

Just a desk

With a chair...

Just a chair

A TV with no channels...

Just a TV

Four walls...

Just walls

A door...

Just one door

A plain window...

Just a window

A light bulb...

Just a light bulb

But where's the person...

no person


Gray


The Messy Room

Fatima M.


In my brother's room it is

messy. It looks like there has

been a tow truck in there.

It smells like there has been

food in there for years.


Ms. Graefen (404)


Untitled (Room Poem)

Analiz F.


I see the TV. Then I see my

mirror. I see myself in the

mirror every morning.

Then I see my dog Peluchina.

I think her bed is really com-

fy cause she goes to sleep in

one minute. I see my dresser,

I open it and I see lots

& lots of clothes, shoes, skirts

& pants, t-shirts, etc. I think

I have a mess sometimes.

Then I see my pink door.


My Dream Room

Magdalena F.


A chandelier hangs from the ceiling.

All the crystals hanging down.

The walls pink and white.

The ceiling black.

The dresser white with a mirror.

My perfumes and lotions on the dresser.

A three-way mirror. I see myself.

My shoes are all in my closet.

My clothes are in my closet.

My bags are on a desk.

My dream room. My dream room.


My Room

Osvaldo T.


My room has a TV of course

I would not live without it

There is a bunk bed cause there's only two rooms

So my sister sleeps down and I sleep up.


There is a lot of drawers because

we need lots of space for our clothes

We need one drawer so we could put

our favorite stuff like toys


There are a lot of frames cause

my mom buys them for us so

our room could be more decorative

I do not like them at all.


Mr. Heredia (414)


My Own Special Room

Brenda A.


My own special room left alone

with nobody home. The walls changing to a color

to another, bright or dark still so lonely. The

bed squeaking every time. The windows blowing wind

into the room. Clothes on the floor, shoes on top

of the bed. Wow what a messy room. Toys in

the closet all wrinkled down on the floor. Coming

home from school into my room backpack

on the floor. What a messy room!


The Kitchen

Samantha B.


All I see is pots and pans,

moving back and forth with the

wind pushing them.


I smell gas, food and

hot chocolate going on.

The smell of the food

is very good to eat up

so is the hot chocolate.


I can hear the water

bubbling but all I want

to know is who did this?


Untitled (Room Poem)

Deisy C.


The kitchen is clean

and shiny

I smell my

mom making

tacos and some

water is running

it smells good

it looks good

I want some

but it's not

done yet

I like tacos for

lunch and

coffee in the

mornings and

some milk to

go to bed

I like the kitchen

lots of smells

come from the

kitchen


The Cleanest Room

Fernando P.


My room is the cleanest of them all. I have nothing

laid around the room. The socks are stored in all

from lightest to darkest. My videos and video games

are stored near the TV, the windows are really

light just like the sunlight. My toys are

organized by biggest to smallest.


Room

Leslie S.


Flowers on the wall,

Orange colored,

Pie cooking,

Pumpkin scents.


Wooden chairs,

Wooden table,

Bowl of plums.


In this enormous room in my

house smelling so good

continuously.


Is so sweet, you can actually

taste the room in your mouth.

No comments: