About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Abuelito...who?

Sandra Cisneros' poem, "Abuelito Who," describes the relationship between a little girl and her aging grandpa. Today, I asked my third grade students to choose someone that they love, and write a poem about them, using some of the same techniques as Cisneros: what they do, what they say, and some things or objects that remind them of this person (an introduction to metaphor).

Hamdan-B15

My Dad
Moises A.


My dad is a soccer ball.
My dad likes to play soccer.
My dad says, Come on, you can do it.
My dad who helps me get ready for soccer.
When I see the ball roll on the grass I think
like my dad kicked it.
He is like a bird on my shoulder.

Little Bear Who...
Giselle H.


Makes me feel at home. Who likes
to hug me. Said in my head that
she loves me. Who hugs me tight at
night. That plays with me like real. She makes
me feel like she's my sister. Little bear
who is like a sis. She is special
because she's the only person who has time
for me. She's like a star in the sky who is
really just a bear. I love her just like
a person.

My Dad
Joel D.


My dad is a motor
that he fixes when is car
breaks down.

My dad and mom that show
me soccer and when they broke up
I saw them in the soccer ball
through the field. And saw
them fight and I cried and
went home so I could rest.
And got back together.
And saw them at the field
and saw them get a kiss.

Dad
Marcos B.


My dad who likes music and goes to the store.
My dad who told me to never give up.
My dad who is like half of me but loves
all of me.

My Dad
Judith G.


My dad likes to go to the movies with me.
He takes me to the movies to see nice
and scary movies. He tells me I'm his diamond.
He is the moon. The owl too.


Vilchis-202

The Adventures of Grandma and Grandpa
Abel V.


I live with my grandma and grandpa
because my dad and mom, they live on
the 2nd floor. I stay with my grandma
and grandpa. I play with them Loteria
and La Ormigita. That's why I love
my grandpa and grandma. And because
he gives me money but he also
gives me stuff when I go visit them.
They always will love me. And
when my grandma takes a shower
she sings. And when she goes to church
she sings to the people. The End.

My Abuelito
Maricela E.


My abuelito liked to see me but he never got to see
me. He wanted to see also my sister, my two brothers.
He says to think about him, and he says to keep
all of us safe. I remember when I saw him
when I was little. And he also was my best
abuelito.

Elizabeth
Nicole Ortiz


Elizabeth is my sister. She always
plays dolls with me. I like my
sister so much because she's fun and we
have fun together. we always
go to the zoo a lot. She has blonde
hair, she sleeps with me a lot.
She's the drops of water.

The Cool Kids
Carlos L.


My cousin teaches me how to
play games and takes me
to a party. He's just like a
jacket. He shows me
how to paint my hair.


Vazzana-104

My Dad
Jhoan B.


My dad buys me clothes
and he tickles me and
we play a lot and my
dad is like a best
friend and that is why I love him
like we are brothers, and that's why
I love him.

Mi papá y yo
Vanessa G.


Mi papá me ama porque cuando el se acuesta en
la cama yo me acuesto con el porque cuando yo me
acuesto el me hace caricias y me da besos
cuando viene del trabajo. Me da vestidos.

My Best Father
Hazael G.


My dad is strong as a car, but
smaller like a door, eats smart
like a racoon. He called me mi'jo
and soldier, he said that I'm his love.
He's fast like a thunder.

I Love My Family
Wendy L.


1.
Wendy you are my star.
Dad, you are my heart.
Wendy, are you playing today?

2.
I love my little baby brother.
My baby brother is playing
with me.

3.
Mom, I love you.
You love me.
My baby brother is happy.

My Uncle Died
Esmeralda P.


My uncle says
that he loves me so much.
My uncle likes to
hug me, my uncle thinks
that they love him.
I love him so much.
I miss so much that
God is with him
and he is with God.
We laugh together.

No comments: