About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Conversation Poems

Denis Johnson's poem, "Traveling" features two characters talking in a barbershop about a third person who is not there; a fourth character sits quietly and listens to their conversation. Inspired by the poem, students were asked to write their own "talking" poems.


Ms. Fialkowski (402)


Me & Dad

Erica A.


Me: Can I take out my dog to walk

it?

Dad: No, because it will bite someone

or scare a little kid.

Me: If a kid comes I will just pull

it away, please!

Dad: Fine, you can take it outside since

it's hot and cool outside.

Me: OK.

Dad: How about if we go to the park

with the dog?

Me: that's a better idea.

Dad: Let's go now.

Me: I will take my dog everywhere

I want.

Dad: Just don't take it that long because

then someone would take it away from

you.

Me: OK, dad, whatever you say.

Dad: I will be here waiting for you.

Me: OK, dad.


Glitter, Jose, My Dog & I

Jasmin C.


I was going to take my dog out so

he could use the bathroom and then

my brother said Glitter was calling

me and I said go get Jack so I could

put him on the leash and he could go

to the store with me I said, OK

let me go get Jack and my brother

Jose said where are you taking Jack

I said, to the store with who he said

my brother Jose I said, with Glitter

he said buy me some Cheetos and a

juice I said, give me money and he

gave me a dollar and Glitter said

hurry up I said, I'm going and I

grabbed Jack and put his leash on.


Tackle Down

Oscar M.


Hey Pablo, let's go to Kelly Park. Nah that's OK

I'm tired. Come on please? No. Pretty please? No. Pretty please

with a cherry on top? OK. Osvaldo, let's go to Kelly

Park. OK. I am going to play soccer there. Ouch! My brother

tackled me down. I'm going to get you.


My Family

Damian V.


Me and my family were talking about going

camping for the summer, but my sister says no

because there's too many mosquitoes. My dad says

yes so he could bond with me. My mom

says yes because she loves nature, and I say yes

because I could go fishing. Then we decided

to go.


Ms. Michel (403)


Untitled (Talking Poem)

Mayra D.


I am talking to an artist.

His name is Daddy Yankee.

He said that I was nice and

I said that he was a great

singer. His cellphone rang and

they said he had to go to a

concert, so he took me and

I started singing his cool

songs. He said that I

was great at singing.


Talking

Jeremy S.


I was at Wrigley Field because I

was going to meet the Cubs players

and I wanted to talk to Derrick

Lee. I asked him, “How many home-

runs have you had in your career?”

and he said “389 home runs.” I told

him that “389 is a lot.” I also told

him that “Alex Rodriguez has 555

home runs.” Then he said, “I will

catch up with Alex Rodriguez and

will have more. I asked him,”Can

you go in the field and hit

some balls high for me?” I saw

a lot of light in the field and I

saw the green grass.


Talking to People

Alvara S.


As I was waiting

to take my turn shooting goals,

my friend said,

I need to

go to the washroom.” And

I said, “What are you telling

me for?” The sky was purplish

with other colors. So

my friend went to ask a

lady, “Where's the

washroom lady!” I gasped in

surprise. Sadly she said, “Go straight,

turn left and a right.” It was

getting darker. “Oh no,” I thought,

that's where the monsters and

dragons are. So I ran.


Ms. Hughesdon (407)


Untitled (Talking Poem)

Nancy C.


On Friday I was waiting for

my friend. Then we went

inside my house, we were

going to jump rope. “Oh my

God I can't find my

jump rope. Where is it, mom

have you seen my jump

rope?” “No, I haven't.” My

friend said, “Maybe it's in

the fish jar.” “In my fish

jar?” Oh, yeah it is, good

thinking.


Talking

Salena C.


Whatcha doing? Layla said.

I'm reading.

Reading what?

Reading a poem called

Drip, Drop, Drip, Drop, Raindrop.”

Can you read it to us? Okay.


Drip, Drop, Drip, Drop, Raindrop

drips

then drops.

It goes drip, drop when it rains.

Is that it? Layla and Fatima said. Yeah

it just ain't finished.


Hot Dog

Gustavo R.


You ate my hot dog,” said sis.

For the last time, I didn't,” I said with a groan.

At the house Gaby's hot dog is gone.

Then Gaby said, “If you don't give I'll fight.”

Look,” I said with surprise.

In the house Gaby and I fought until....

baby came in with a hot dog in her mouth.


Ms. Montoya (405)


Untitled (Talking Poem)

Janet B.


Mom?” “Yes honey?” What are

you going to cook today?”


I don't know what to cook

today.


Do you have an idea, honey?”

No, mom.


Mommy?” “Yes, honey?”

I have an idea. Why don't

you order Chinese rice?”


OK. What kind of rice?”

Chicken fried rice, OK!”


The Talking Potatoes

Alfredo C.


First a potato comes to a store

and the second potato says hi,

how are you? Hot! Do you want to be

sliced to fries? No thanks said the first

potato. How are your kids? They are small

as raisins. Well goodbye. I am going

to talk to carrot. And they were both

watering each other. And they liked it.

Then a man came up and ate therm.

And he heard his conversation.


The Lion

Yadid G.


It was a rainy day

on the hills of California

I went to see and I saw a lion

I started to talk to him

How are you doing?

He answered, “Roar roar”

Do you live here?

roar roar”

What do you eat?

roar roar”

It was nice meeting you

roar roar”

I don't understand anything

lions don't talk

so I went back home

what do you know lions do talk

roar roar”


Untitled (Talking poetry)

Anibal M.


Where's my soccer ball?

Which soccer ball my brother said.

The one I mostly use outside. My

brother said you use three kinds of soccer

balls. Which one? The one I mostly

use. But which one? The Nike ball, the World

Cup ball, or the American ball? The World

Cup ball I said. Oh that one. Where

is it? In the garbage. WHAT?!?!


Ms. Graefen (404)


Conversation

Silvia R.


I passed the library. I

went inside and I saw a girl. I

heard her talking to the library

lady. I thought they were friends. All the

people in the library heard them

talking. A boy came and said, “Can

you be quiet? I am trying to read

here.” The library lady said, “Please

be quiet,” and then she

said would I leave and she

said, “We are closing.”


My Purple Ring

Veronica S.


On to the store

my purple ring said

he wanted a buddy.

And I told him

you got me and then

he said I love when

people look at me! And

I told him I love when

you shine. Then he said

I do my best to make

you look good! Then I told

him, I know and you do

good! I love you! My little purple

ring! I love you purple

buddy!


Who Is There?

Anthony S.


Once I was reading in my room.

Suddenly I heard someone knocking

and he said “open the door.” I said who's there?

He answered back saying “you know who I am.”

I said “I don't know who you are.

Are you my brother?” I asked.

Yes I am,” he answered.

I opened the door and I saw my brother.

I thought you were someone else,” I told him.

And that's why I said who is there?”


A Person

Julian V.


Joey made a friend today. Hi my

name is Danny. Joey said, do you want

to go to my house? Yes, said Danny, cool.


Mr. Heredia (414)


Untitled (Talking Poem)

Jacquelin A.


I am in a room,

I am alone,

I grab the phone,

I call my friend,

I say, “What are you doing?”

She says, “Nothing.”

I say, “We'll do something.”

She says, “What are you doing?”

I say, “Nothing.”

She says, “Wanna come to my house?”

I say, “Yes why not?”

And the room is all alone.


Why Won't Anyone Play With Me?

Brenda A.


Outside I asked my friend named Jenny

What are you doing today?” Jenny said, “Oh nothing

just watering my plants.” The plants looked lonely

and sad. Once I asked would you like to play

with me? She ignored me and left the water open.

All of my toys lying on the beautiful green

grass. All of my plants so sad just lying there

waiting for water. I asked my brother,” Would you

like to play with me?” He didn't answer.


My Homework

Keith D.


Hey Keith did you do

your homework?

What homework it

is Friday.


Dude it is Thursday.

What?!?!


Where are your

shoes?

Oh no!! I forgot

that too.


Why are you

still in pajamas?

Not again.


I think you're in big

trouble.


No comments: