About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Halloween Poems

Chicago poet Li-Young Lee writes about eerie sounds, unseen phantoms and more in his poem, "Nocturne." After reading it, students were asked to use their imaginations and write Halloween poems, creating their own scary creatures and situations, or simply celebrating the holiday in poetic language.


Ms. Fialkowski (402)


Untitled (Halloween Poem)

Claudia A.


Once upon a time there was

a lonely house. People think that the

house was spooky. People didn't

believe that so they lived there.


They say the house was

haunted. When they moved to the other

house that people say it was so spooky

people say you will be dead in that

house.


When they were going to sleep

they heard somebody singing. They got

freaked out so they went to

see it was a man singing a

lullaby. When they were going to

bed they saw a shadow. They

got scared.


They were so freaked out they

screamed to death. They did not

believe in ghosts. When they saw

the ghosts, now they believe

in ghosts.


Ghostman

Jose D.


There was a creature in the night. It is

white, no one could see him, some talk about

him. If you do he will haunt you, he

will scare you sometimes. The way

he scares you is he takes off his

head and puts on your face. He is mean.

He hears stuff about him, so it looks

like he has to haunt. And his name

is the ghostman. Some call him

the headless ghost man.


Creepy Things

Ivory G.


I hear creepy scraping noises on

my bedroom door. I yell at my

dog, but I'm yelling at the wall!

My dog was out for a walk. I

heard it again! I get a base-

ball bat and I see a bloody

hook! Then, out of nowhere,

this thing pounces on me! Thinking

what to do, I kick him and

run! I went back, and it was

my dad! I'll never forgive him!


Monsters

Crecesio P.


In the dark people

get candy, in the day

there are monsters. When

the monsters ring the bell

the monsters get more candy.

When it is dark the

monsters go walking to

other houses and get

more candy. The other

day comes and the

monsters are gone. They

also are sleeping.


The Shadows

Jonathan R.


In the shadows noises move,

sounds like closing windows,

or is it someone in the dark?

Darkness reveals many sounds,

but there is only one

creepy

scraping

sound.

There was a knock on my door.

Was it my brother, or was it a boar?

Closed the windows,

closed the doors.


But there was a

shadow behind me.

Hoping not to be unknown.

I saw the creature.


Not my brother,

not even a boar.


My heart was pulsing

as fast as a cheetah

as I pulled out a shriek

and ran to freedom.


Ms. Michel (403)


Chocolate Monster

Marcelo E.


I was eating candy and it was

chocolate. I opened the wrapper and

it looked good, but it was evil and it jumped

on me. It was making weird noises

and I told it to get off me. Then

I ate it.


The Noises

Yulissa R.


It's Halloween. Somebody knocks on the

door, no one is there. I hear some footsteps

in the kitchen. I go to see who it was

but nobody was there. Then I see a shadow

on the wall of a person wearing a hat

and then it disappeared. Then I asked my

mom if she heard those noises and she

said that she didn't see anything. I

was starting to get scared. Then there's a

noise of somebody grabbing a bat. There's

a scarecrow walking in the yard.


I'm Very Nice

Jeremy S.


Every time I went outside all the

kids would run away because I was a

monster. I try to talk to them but they

start to scream and run home. Then

one day a new kid moved in. i went

to talk to him but he got a little scared.

I told him that I was friendly

and he wasn't scared anymore. And from that

day on the kids never got scared when I was

around them and I had a lot of friends.


Ms. Hughesdon (407)


Night Time

Melany C.


Night time, it's dark, creepy and spooky on

Halloween night. I hear noises outside.

The first thing that comes to my mind is

aliens and zombies. So I look out the

window. I was so scared. But there

was nothing outside. I turned around.

There were aliens and zombies all around.

And up and down and everywhere.

I was scared, I scream, scream, but

it was just a dream.


Untitled (Halloween Poem)

Everado P.


Once upon a time there were these

brothers and sisters that were hunting for

the most rarest animal in history.

Scientists have seen it but they cannot find

out what it is. Some people say

that the person he bites turns into a

wolf and now I end my story


houuuuuuuuuuuuuuu


Halloween Time

Brenda R.


Halloween, Halloween sometimes

is fun, sometimes is not. On Hallo-

ween it could happen, so many things.

Like if you are going to sleep and

you hear something, you could be scared.

But it is Halloween and it needs to be scary

but the most fun thing is candy

candy candy.


Ms. Montoya (405)


Halloween

Juan J.


Halloween night, the tree branches move. The great light

in the jack-o-lanterns. Children screaming trick-or-treat. The

wolves howl in full moon, the zombies rise from their tomb,

and the ghouls, so real but fake. Lots of fake creatures

rise on the hallow. Lots of scary things in this street.

The fear of the humans. Look so real. But maybe, they

are. Just you wait, the word BOO will scare you or make you

cry.


Haunted House

Eric P.


You see a house standing in the tree's shade.

With its broken windows all dirty and gray.

You can see an open door but then you

see something in the house run by the open door.

You go inside and turn around and see

the door close and the room turns dark.

Then you see someone's shadow when he

runs up the stairs. Then you run outside

and decide this isn't just a house, it's

a haunted house with someone's spirit haunting

the house.


The Ugly Monster

Vani P.


His name is Mario. He doesn't

like sweet things, he hates sweet

things. His skin color was green.

When he was at school everybody

just laughed at him – ha, ha, ha,

you are ugly. So he quit school

when he was in 6thspan> grade. He went

to his house, he told his mom.

His mom said, you are dumb so he

colored himself green and

went to live in the basement.

He never came out of the

basement.


Monsters and Ghouls

Diana R.


On Halloween monsters and

ghouls awaken from their sleep.

Some are very cheap. Others still

look asleep. But they know that

tonight is their night. The night

when they are free. The night when

they get a treat or do a trick.

They know the night is long.

Every year something different.

At midnight you hear thousands of

wolves coming out of the shadows

searching for food. Ghouls and

witches fly through the air. You

hear a squirrel complain for they

had a bee and a sneaker in

her tree. The day is short, the

night is long, have as much fun

as you can, for Halloween

comes once a year. The day

is here. It sounds like it's

here. Because it is. So run away,

hide under a bed, because

no one is free from Halloween.


Ms. Graefen (404)


Spooky Halloween

Vanessa C.


I'd dress like a vampire

I have candy

She went in fire

She still has candy

I like candy

She is my sister, Sandy

I like Halloween

She dresses like a pumpkin

She says Halloween

Halloween is very spooky

I like spooky Halloween time

I said candy candy

This is my candy time

I give some candy to

A child. I love candy.


Halloween

Oscar C.


On Halloween I heard this creepy

noise outside. I looked outside and I saw

outside. I went outside to see a hideous

monster singing really bad and he had

one eye, can you believe that?


The Boogyman

Cesar G.


The Boogyman is scary and nasty

because he eats worms he

is scary because he is red

I wonder why his name is the

Boogyman? Is it because

he likes to boogie? The Boogyman

also walks funny, I wonder if

the Boogyman has pants because

he is red?


Vampire

Rocio M.


Very bad

Amazing teeth

May run

Pointy, very pointy

I will run

Red eyes

Enormous teeth


Halloween, Halloween, Halloween

Jacob S.


Halloween, when the night sky

fills the air. Trick or treaters

come out with costumes and

bags hoping to fill them up.

People have candy to give away.

Kids ring your doorbell and say

trick or treat.” Some people get

eggs out of their fridges. I

hope I closed all my windows

and doors – crack! Ooo oh!!!!!


Mr. Heredia (414)


The Halloween Stuff

Ana C.


Halloween Halloween

there's a lot of noise

people go trick or treating

some people make

parties. There's a lot of

parties. There's a lot of

costumes on Halloween.

Schools make parties.

They go walking.

Halloween Halloween

it's bad and good.


Untitled (Halloween Poem)

Jasmine R.


As it is the fall holiday season

leaves scatter to the ground. As we

step in them a crunch comes about.

Kids walking. Footsteps, as the sound

of candy hitting their bags. Wind

blows like a whistle, colors fill

the air as kids pass back and

forth with costumes. Candy wrappers

hit the ground with a snap! The

holiday is finally here. The constant

ring of the door bell as kids

want more. The ringing is deafening.


Halloween

Adelia S.


It's Halloween and I'm

happy because I get

candy and put on

a costume.

But the scariest thing

is the noises you

hear.

The leaves rustle

in the wind.

It's a full orange

moon and people

are in scary costumes.

You can hear doors

open and shut,

you see lots of

skeletons and monsters

as posters in 3-D and

I'm scared.

That's why it only

comes once a

year.

Happy Halloween!


No comments: