About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Introductions & Clothes Poems

Welcome to the Shields Elementary Poetry blog! I am thrilled to have this opportunity to post these examples of student writing on a regular basis, twenty weeks out of the year. There are many creative, imaginative, thoughtful, and enthusiastic poets at Shields, and I hope to present much of their work over the next six-plus months, along with links (as available) to the poems students are reading.

For our first week of 5th grade classes, no poem was brought in for students to read. Instead, we discussed the Hands on Stanzas program, and what students knew -- if anything -- about writing poetry. Students were then asked to write a poem about the clothes they were wearing that day.

Ms. Fialkowski (402)


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Ezequiel A.


My shirt is the color yellow.

I wear my shirt cause it's my lucky shirt.

I also wear it cause it is my uniform shirt.

I hate to wear my pants because they

are so long and they don't fit me

right. I am also wearing my lucky

sneakers. They help me run really fast.

And I am also wearing my new

glasses. My glasses help me

see better and is helping my vision

get better.


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Daniel G.


I'm wearing a white shirt,

So ugly and so dull.

I feel like a prisoner,

Inside my very own clothes.


Oh dull white shirt.

What do you want?

You follow me wherever I go.


Through the park

In the bathroom

Wherever I go


But one thing's for sure

I'm not a fashion designer.


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Kayla S.


My shirt is white.

It is blank.

I hate it.

I hate it.

My pants are navy blue.

No designs.

No color.

I can't believe I'm wearing this.

It's so not me.


Ms. Michel (403)


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Alondra B.


Something

I

wear,

I

wear

today a headband

shaped

like

a rectangle

with stars and red

stripes

white ones too, and

blue around

the white stars

could it

or could

it not be the

flag of the United States


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Angel B.


I do not like my shoes they gave me

last year it tights up my feet and it

hurts. I like the new jacket it is

comfortable for the winter. There are some

pants I wore over the year, kind of puffy

and I don't like them cause it is hard

to walk with them and every time

I want to take them off it shocks

me pretty hard.


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Giovanni F.


I have short sleeves burrrr I

feel a breeze.


I'm wearing pants but I hope

there's no ants.


I have shoes on I hope there is

no duty upon.


I wear socks they don't have

any dots.


I have underwear I hope no one

sees it there.


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Jessica M.


My shirt is white

it's white like the

white snow. I like

my skirt it's so

cool to me. My

shoes are blue and

they are new. I

like what I am

wearing even if

it is cold. I like

my socks. I like

what they say

they say galaxy.


Clothing

Alexander R.


The clothing I'm wearing today

is a white t-shirt and pants. Those

are my favorite clothes because

my father gave them to me as

a present and the t-shirt is

my lucky t-shirt

because if I do a test with

it I always get A or B on my

test and that's true. The pants I

am wearing I used to not like

because I used to feel embarrassed

with them but now I like to wear them

and also they feel good.


Ms. Hughesdon (407)


Clothes

Marlene C.


Clothes, clothes, clothes, what

should I do? I love my dark

blue pants they keep me warm.

I feel so comfy in my dark blue

pants. They are long and stretchy.

My shirt is purple it is short

sleeve I feel cold in it, it does

not make me feel warm but

I like my purple shirt. My

white and black socks they

keep me super warm. My shoes

they are so cuddly. Clothes,

clothes, clothes, I love my clothes.


My Clothes

Anheli D.


My jacket of jack is cool

My jacket is warm out of jean I'm

wearing it today.

My shoes are Guess

They're black and have the letter

G for Guess

And they're silver too

I wear different everyday they shine

when you look at them

I love my clothes

It's so beautiful my jacket it's from the movie

Nightmare Before Christmas.


My Necklace

David F.


My necklace that

my godparents gave me.


My necklace is made of

gold.


My necklace makes a

little sound like cookies

being smushed.


My necklace feels kind

of smooth.


My necklace is special

because it's from my first

communion.


My necklace has an

image of Jesus.


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Jessica Z.


blue, white, orange,

black, green, gold

lots of colors

make me cold.

My sweater, orange,

white and pink

I almost blinked.

My shirt color

white with a collar,

my brother wears

the same thing.

My pants, blue,

long, doesn't

fit it's almost

gone.

My shoes, green

they're mean 'cause

they trip me.

Lastly my bracelet

beautiful, shiny,

lucky, and it looks

funky.


Ms. Montoya (405)


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Daisy A.


My ugly, ugly school clothes.

Navy blue pants,

white polo,

and lame blue hoody,

I wish I could wear

some bedazzled jeans,

a hot pink shirt and my hair down,

but instead...

Navy blue pants,

white polo,

and lame hoody.

I hate my ugly clothes it's so

dead and dull.

My ugly, ugly school clothes.


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Ivan M.


My clothes make me feel nice and warm.

When I woke up I saw a thunder storm.

It was 8:06 AM.

I started to take a bowl out and I ate Trix.

When I put on my clothes, it made me feel nice and warm.


These clothes reminded me of a form.

These clothes reminded me of everything.

My clothes just make me want to sing.


Clothes

Jose P.


My uniform is white and blue,

short sleeve shirt.

I wear my shoes that are blue, size 4, and help me walk.

My socks are too small and tight.

The sleeve of my shirt is too short.

My pants are blue and

too big.

My clothes make me feel warm when it's cold

and comfortable.

I'm wearing a belt, long and skinny belt.


Ms. Graefen (404)


Clothes

Diego C.


White and blue

this is what I'm

wearing right now


short sleeve and

shorts short socks

and rubber bands

around my wrist


buttoned shirt

with a collar


shoes black and

white with a

little gold line


blue sweater

white two lines

down the arms

with three pockets

and a zipper


Hot Uniform!

Anthony G.


My shirt is white

and my pants are blue

my shoes are very white too!

But it is a school uniform

I wish it was not!

Because in this uniform

IT IS HOT!


Untitled (Clothes Poem)

Isaac G.


I have my lucky Shields shirt.

It is lucky because ever since

2nd grade for perfect attendance I've worn

this shirt. I have cool things that

this shirt has gone through. I

am not the shirt type that likes

shirts but I think this is

lucky!


Clothes and

Mercedes L.


My shirt is orange and purple

It fits good

I got it this year

I like this shirt


My chain is gold

I like my chain

I like it because it is of Tweety

I like the way it looks and the way it is.


My pants are blue

I don't like my pants

My pants are boring and plain.


Mr. Heredia (414)


Clothes

Daryl C.


I really actually like

my uniform because

my shirt is soft,

warm, and my shirt

has the name of

my school and

Shields animal, a gold

eagle.


My Clothes

Carina G.


I am wearing a gold shirt with

dark blue joggers. I have a small

hoop earring. I am wearing my

favorite soccer team bracelet. I am

wearing my pink and gray Jordans.


I am wearing purple, white, pink

socks. I am wearing a blue Tinker-

belle sweater. With all things

on me I feel comfortable, cozy

and warm.


My Clothing

Leslie S.


My clothes are plain.

My clothes are white and blue.

I think I will tell more to you.

My socks have polka dots.

My socks are white with a pink

star.


No comments: