About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I am a crazy rabbit and an ugly monster and nice people.

I went a little nuts typing up many more poems than usual, because I was so thrilled about the hilarious and exciting results of our "I am/I am not" anaphora poems. I asked the students to finish the phrase "I am..." fifteen times, and "I am not" five times. I encouraged them to use metaphor (compare themselves to objects, animals, places...) or to use adjectives, or verbs. I was struck by the complexity that they expressed through these poems, throwing in semi-contradictory lines ("I am an ugly monster and nice people.") and documenting growth and change ("I am not mean to you anymore.").

###

Ms. Vilchis, Rm. 202, 3rd grade

I Am and I Am Not
Abel V.


I am a real hotdog.
I am a hamburger from Burger King.
I am a pencil that always writes.
I am a car that goes fast.
I am a taco from Tio Luis tacos.

I am not a nerd.
I am not a teacher.
I am not a clown.
I am not a paper.
I am not a piece of cement.

I am a computer that works.
I am a stapler that has a lot of staples.
I am a tissue paper.
I am a ramp that people use.
I am a clown that is funny.

I am not a piece of lead.
I am not a jacket that people wear.
I am not a folder that children use.
I am not a chalkboard.
I am not the worms that crawl in the dirt.


Untitled
Carlos L.


I’m an alligator, an alligator that invites people in my stomach.

I’m not a fish, a fish that swims in the water.

I’m a rat, a strong rat that could make a cat lose.

I’m not a worm that moves slow.

I’m a lion that is strong.


Untitled
Adriana A.


I am cleaning my room today.
I am helping people to earn money.
I am playing with my dog.
I am a daughter.
I am jumping around.

I am not hungry.
I am not worried.
I am not lucky; today always bad luck.
I am not happy today.
I am not cleaning my room.


Untitled
Andrea P.


In 5 de mayo I am going to dance. I am not a good dancer.
I am going to eat tamales. I am not happy.
I am a lizard. I am not a thing.
I am a balloon. I am not afraid of water.
I am a ball. I am not mean.

In 5 de mayo I am going to dance. I am going to dance.
I am going to eat tamales.
I am a lizard. I am a balloon.
I am a ball. I am a tree.

I am not a good dancer. I am not happy.
I am not mean. I am not afraid of water.
I am not a thing.


Untitled
Nicole O.


I am not a ghost.
I am a red shape and dark.
I am not mean to you anymore.
I am something that’s blue and flies.
I am not a heart.
I am the sun.
I am not the color yellow.
I am a paperclip.


I Am a Little Girl with a Big Imagination
Zamira M.


I am a little heart that don’t have nobody.
I am a little girl that is almost everything.
I am a little butterfly that flies and flies.
I am your Valentine all the time—
when you need help I will help you.
I am not a girl that steals friends.
I am not a toy you play with.
I am not a book that you laugh at all the time.
I am not a mean person that steals.
I am not a ghost.


Untitled
Daniel R.


I am a clown that makes a lot of people laugh
and I talk to people.
I am not a crazy boy. I am a nice boy
because you are not a bad boy,
you are a nice boy to play with.
I am a boy that does his work in the classroom.
I am not bringing my homework to school.
I am a tree and a train and a bike
that has two wheels.
I am not a clown.
I am not an ugly kid.
I am a crazy rabbit and an ugly monster
and nice people.


Untitled
Fernando L.


I am a can.
I am a ghost.
I am a famous singer.
I am the Earth.
I am a car.

I am not Jeff Hardy.
I am not a human.
I am not a tray.
I am not a clown.


I Am…I Am Not…
Araceli V.


I am a 3rd-grader. I am sad.
I am in Mrs. Vilchis’ classroom.
I am a student. I am my mom’s daughter.
I am not a teacher. I am not happy.
I am not a 4th-grader.
I am not a student of the month.
I am not a dog.


Untitled
Krystal R.


I am a sandwich that walks.
I am a bird.
I am a turkey.
I am a paper that talks.
I am a balloon.

I am not a book.
I am not a person.
I am not a shoe.
I am not a squirrel.
I am not a table.

###

Ms. Hamdan, Rm. B15, 3rd grade

I Am, I Am Not!
Michelle B.


I am like a shining diamond!
I am not crazy!
I am a beautiful red heart!
I am not a banana with fresh peels!
I am clean and shiny!
I am not a crazy monkey!
I am a shining star in the sky!
I am not confusing!


I Am
Sebastian C.


I am a giant robot.
I am a magnet who sticks on the robot.
I am a rock--I can't move.
I am a football player.
I am a volcano who spills lava.
I am a pencil who people could write with.
I am a leaf on a tree.
I am a writer.
I am a house.
I am a candle.

I am not a pair of glasses.
I am not scissors.
I am not cool.
I am not a ruler.
I am not a clock.


Confusion
Marcos B.


I am 10 of these are us which is
you or me or these.

I am not the same as all of you.

I am always everywhere, as you
can see.

I am not afraid of fireworks or not even
chocolate but maybe of you.

I am not fat.

I am always skinny.


I Am Not
Angelica A.


I am not a boy.
I am a girl.
I am not broccoli.
I am a girl that likes to laugh.
I am not a washing machine.
I am writing a poem.
I am not a tree.
I am counting in my head.
I am not dinner.
I am reading my sentence.
I am not a cup of coffee.
I am doing work.
I am not a triangle.
I am using Andy's pencil.
I am not a cake.


I Am! I Am Not!
Jacqueline V.


I am nice.
I am a girl.
I am strong.
I am pretty.
I am a kitty.
I am great at school.
I am beautiful.
I am a dog.
I am big.
I am brave.
I am not a cylinder.
I am not mud.
I am not a rock.
I am not a leaf.
I am not a cake.
I am not a cube.
I am not a boy.
I am not a rectangle.
I am not a cone.
I am a sphere.
I am not a pyramid.
I am not a prism
because I will be a prism.

###

Mrs. Vazzana, Rm. 104, 3rd grade

Untitled
Victor P.


I am a house.
I am not a paper.
I am a book.
I am not a board.
I am a television.
I am not a shoe.
I am a map.
I am not a pencil.
I am a ball.
I am not a book bag.
I am short.
I am not hair.
I am an apple.
I am a person.


I Am the Things
Hazael G.


I am tiny like an ant.
I am not a computer
because I don't have letters
in my stomach.
I am a hot dog.
I am not a donkey.
I am a book.
I am a poem.
I am not water.
I am a lion.
I am not a shark.
I am not a planet.
I am a dog.
I am an angel.


I Am
Esmeralda P.


I am a frog because
I jump a lot.
I am a monkey because
I ate a lot of bananas.
I am a dog because I like
bones of meat.
I am the sun and I am bright.
I am a song I sing.
I am a book so fat.
I am a poem so long.
I am a hot dog.
I am pizza.
I am a school.
I am a donkey that does the limbo.
I am a cookie.


I Am Not Things, I Am Things
Yacsel H.


I am a butterfly in the sky.
I am a monkey, I dance and eat bananas.
I am a seahorse and I am in the water.
I am a pencil and I write with it.

I am not a car who rides.
I am not a house where they live.
I am not water to drink.
I am not a poem to read.
I am not food to eat.


Myself
Angelica V.


I am a good girl.
I am a princess.
I am my dog.
I am a girl.
I am a president.
I am a super girl.
I am Maya.
I am a D.W.
I am a woman.
I am a mom.

I am not a boy.
I am not a stranger.
I am not a dinosaur.
I am not a nice boy.


I Am
Miguel M.


I am a white tiger.
I am not Joaquin.
I am Miguel.
I am a red dragon.
I am not a shark.



Untitled
Karina G.


I am a girl.
I am not a boy.
I am in Chicago.
I am not an animal.
I am a dog.
I am not a house.
I am fabulous.
I am not a clock.
I am a princess.
I am not a number.
I am a teddy bear.
I am not a ghost.
I am a happy face.
I am not a marker.
I am a heart.
I am not a rabbit.
I am a star.
I am not teeth.
I am a popstar.
I am not a baby.
I am a butterfly.
I am not a rat.
I am a bird.
I am not a fly.
I am a rainbow.
I am not a fish.
I am a glass of water.

No comments: