About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Monday, February 4, 2008

Memory Poems

Memory is a powerful motivator in poetry, and Philip Levine one of poetry's most ardent proponents of remembering. Students read and discussed his lovely (and complicated) poem, "Starlight," then wrote memory poems of their own.

Ms. Fialkowski, 5th Grade

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Ezequiel A.

I remember my first house. I left when
I was seven years old. My favorite spot to hang
out in the night was the roof. I would go
out of my window and lay to look at the
night sky, the stars. I'd just look at the
night stars. My favorite place to play
was the basement. I had no one to tell
me what to do.

Memories
Virginia B.

Those memories I had
of the muddy mud in Wisconsin. I lost
my shoes. I got a frog that
was always jumping everywhere
in the mud. People laughing that
shoes were lost with the five other
frogs! All the frogs were jumping.
Jumping everywhere!

The Memories
Jonathan R.

The desert, hot and dizzy, bright,
very bright.
My granddad on the horizon, back
from his journey.
“The danger,” he says, “with
rattlesnakes and the suffering heatwaves.”
He holds me while we see the
sun disappear into the horizon.
And the light from the
moon and the stars.
Our minds sank into the almost
unbelieving stories.
“For the gods take care of us
for the new day to come.”

Memory
David V.

I had fun at Six Flags.
We went on rides
and ate pies. The
happiness and laughter
we had
together. Now
we're
a little unhappy
and bored. We
never go to places.
I still remember
that day. All I
think
is we need
family time and
a happy trip.

Ms. Michel, 5th Grade

Mexico
Griselda A.

I remember when we went to Mexico
and we went to a really cool water
park. But when I got in a tunnel.
I twisted my leg and it really
hurt. I also remember when me
and my family went to Michigan
and we went to parties and
to the circus. It was really fun
being there because horses were
even dancing. Also they fired
fireworks and it was very
beautiful.

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Giovanni F.

I remember the time
when I was two years
old.
I was a mere
baby who went
anywhere.
This is how
it all started.
We were at the
park.
My mom
was
holding me.
I escaped when
she wasn't looking.
I tried to climb
on a rope. I
was almost
there when
I fell. I
cried as loud
as I can. My
parents took me
to the nearest
hospital. That's all I remember.

Memory
Samuel G.

I remember when I went
to the park with my
family and dog. I remember
that at first we
started to have races,
for whoever wins first.
I remember that at
the end of the race
we would start
climbing trees. It was so
much fun sitting on the
tree, hanging backwards from
the tree. Then we would
play some soccer, with
my dog as the goalie. When
we were done we would
eat in a small picnic.
When we were done
we would lay down
and pet our dog.
When we were done
we would go home so
happy.

I Remember....
Alvaro S.

I remember when I had
a snowball fight with my
friends. We each made a fort
and ammo. The snowballs were
flying everywhere. We all had
a good time. It was our best
snowball fight ever. We also
got out of our forts and
pushed each other into
the cold snow. We hit each
other a lot of times with
the hard cold snowballs.

Ms. Hughesdon, 5th Grade

Memory Poem
Cesar M.

It is my 6th birthday.
My family and I are getting
ready. The party is going to be
in a big restaurant. I am going
to have a clown and a
magician. Someone was
really embarrassed by the clown.
The clown put two cloths in his
pants, then he pulled and
purple underwear came out.
The party was so great.
But the worse part was when
it ended.

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Everardo P.

The time was evening.
My mom was on the porch outside.
The sunset was awesome. Me
and my family like to relax
every summer evening when
the sunset was out, especially
those kind of yellow orange colors,
almost purple. The sky is
full of wonderful colors
that just make you say the sky
has never been better.

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Brenda R.

I remember when I was going to
move to a new house. When I first
went to see it, it looked so
empty, the place looked sad. Then
when we were carrying things
it didn't look empty. When all
the things were in there it
looked so different, with all
the pretty things. An empty place
to a happy place.

Ms. Montoya, 5th Grade

The Crash
Roberto A.

I remember when I had a horrible
car crash. I heard the loud crash. I see
people all around the two or three cars.
I heard ambulances coming. I was frightened
to see bad things that might have happened.
I went to the hospital. I was laying on the
stretcher, they took me out, I could only
see lights. I was at the hospital for two hours.
I only wanted to know if my family was
safe. We all came out of the hospital safe.
I'm glad we were safe.

Poetry Memory
Cynthia G.

I remember when I went to Mexico.
It was one afternoon. My
cousin's birthday. We all had
a great, great time because we
broke the piñata and I took my
cousin to meet my aunt and aunt's
daughters and aunt's store. My
cousin decided to invite them
because she thought they
were kind. We started
dancing in the rain and they
became best friends. Then
the next day my cousin and
my family needed to go back
to Chicago. Those nice
good good days.

I Remember the Times in Mexico
Juan J.

I remember the time, on a warm summer
evening, in Mexico. I was on a beach in
Oaxaca. Drinking coconut juice out of a
coconut. Eating cold fruit in a cup with
chili powder, lemons, and salt. I also remember
playing with my cousin with a ball of string.
Also the time when I was in Veracruz,
Mexico City, and other parts. I bought a dog
whistle and attracted tons of dogs. I could
soon live there and fulfill my best memories.

A Birthday Memory
Linet L.

I remember when I had my
first birthday.
It was afternoon. My father
and my brother went
to get balloons.
I was going to turn six
years old.
My mom had a surprise.
What is that?
Inside a ...
white box.
Large. Heavy.
Outside, a table. Pink cloth.
My favorite color. Surprise!
Many gifts, colors, uncles,
aunts, cousins, friends,
and my family.
Someone was missing.
My mom.

She came in and took
out a ....
....
....
....
cake.

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Vani P.

I remember when
I was four years old.
I was a simple little
girl. I will always see
all of my things big.
I was innocent and I am
still. I was small
but I see things
normal now that I am
bigger. When I was small
I used to look at
big things and the
ceiling I couldn't reach.
But now since I am
tall I can pop out
of my roof.
Now that I am
grown up, now
that it's night. Well,
goodnight folks.

Ms. Graefen, 5th Grade

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Alejandro A.

I remember when
I was eight years old
I was on a soccer
team. When I was
goalie they kicked
the ball. I threw
myself and I got
it but I hit myself
on the post and
they took me out
until I was better.
Then they put me
back as goalie
and we also won.
We were champions.
We won a big cup.
It was bigger than
all of the other cups.

My Memory
Magdalena F.

Walking by the lake
Waiting to go on the boat
Splish splash the water goes
Seems like forever waiting
Finally the boat comes
Air blowing in my face
The relaxing feeling
I remember, I remember

My Memories
Laela M.

I remember when I went
to Minnesota with my family
for two weeks. It was fun, we
got to go in a mall and
it had rides inside.
Then my cousin was
talking too much.
I pushed her in
the water and we all
laughed but it was fun.
When we came back
I wrote everything that
happened and was said. I had
the best time.

Mr. Heredia, 5th Grade

Mexico
Brenda A.

I remember the days in Mexico flew by just like a bird trying to find its way home.
The nights in Mexico were lonely like the stars in the sky shining in a physical way.
When I came back here it was like every memory was taken away up in the sky.
The hot sun still shining burning my eyes. I remember the high mountains in
Mexico. I had always wondered if there was any snow up there. It was where I would
like to lick up the snow so my throat would not roast. Those memories will always
float away up in the sky.

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Keith D.

I remember when
I was four. It was a
sunny day. My mom
left the door open
'cause it was hot.
My mom started
to cook and like five
seconds later I ran
out the door. My mom
chased me to the
corner and caught me
right when the car
came.

Untitled (Memory Poem)
Amanda H.

I remember when I went
to Mexico. I went to the pool.
My cousin broke her
tooth on the side. I remember
she kept saying, “I'm going
to look ugly!” The water
was red from the blood. She
was crying and crying.
We left, but her lip was
swollen, very, very red and very
big. She was sad,
very, very sad. She said, “I
will never ever go there again.”

Memory
Mayra S.

I remember when I was four.
My mom showed me our photo album.
Then I saw a picture of a girl
but didn't know who it was.
She was white and had brown
hair but when I was six I knew
that the weird girl with white skin and
brown hair was me.

No comments: