About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Personification Poems

This class was right before holiday break, so I brought in a Christmas poem - e.e. cummings' "little tree." We talked about how cummings gives the tree in the poem human characteristics (having feelings, arms/fingers). They then wrote their own poems, selecting a holiday object and giving it human qualities.


Ms. Sandoval-Johnson, Rm. 001
3rd Grade

Little Present
Cesar N.


Little Present
Nice and dressed
So silent in a box - what could you be?
You sleep until you wake up, I will
Know what you are.

The Kiss of the Mistletoe!
Maria S.


Oh mistletoe, when people
come over to my house
and if they see a mistletoe
they have to kiss on the cheeks.

Oh mistletoe, you look very shiny
with your red bows and those little
circles that are red.

Oh mistletoe, you feel very soft
and fluffy to me if only the world
could know how I feel about you.

Oh mistletoe, people always see
you but not all the time when I see
you I feel like I want to hug you.

Oh mistletoe, this is how I feel about you.

Stars
Samuel P.


Stars shining for Christmas to come.
Waiting every year. I'll just talk with you
and you talk to me. Stars playing together
to make something every day, smiling
every day, your skin so bright and
yellow.

Oh! How you dream of presents every
year is the same.

Snowflakes
Bernice A.


Snowflake, you are so
blue and cold. If you were
alive you would walk and talk.
You would walk better than my
sister. You would say kind words
like sorry, thank you. Sorry. Please.
You would also live in
the freezer so you won't
melt. You would also ask
people "where did you come from?"

Untitled
Brenda B.


Candy cane you are so red
that you will get eaten by
my sister. If you were
a person you would help
people walk in the
hospital if you
could. Then little
kids would say
if they could
have your
brothers or
sister
Your mom will be so
sad that she will cry.
But they won't now
that you are a
candy cane
because you
are a
person like
us. But you
will have red
hair and
look pretty you
are sweet, candy cane.

Snowflakes
Jonathan V.


little snowflake little snowflake
when I caught you I let you
go then the next
year I saw you but you
were way bigger I rolled
you into a snowball and
hit a window you did not
break you walked back one
time I threw you too hard
you were bleeding water

Ms. Marfise
3rd Grade

Little Ornament
Troy S.


Little silent ornament
you are so sparkly
you are more like a chain

Who found you at the store
and were you angry to away?

See, I'll take care of you

I picked you because you are pretty
with such a round head
I will hug your round head.

I will kiss you on your head

I will wrap you in a blanket and put you to sleep.

I keep you close to my heart
I'll pass you down like a tradition of my
family, I will read you a book goodnight.

I will let you be the first on the tree
And trust me you will not get destroyed.

Snowflake Snowflake
Jose C.


How do you float in the
air what do you see
and why are you
white? Do you ever
smile at someone? And
why are you so sparkly
and why do you have things
on you? You look very
dangerous, because you
have little spikes on you
and I wish I could
meet you someday.

Mistletoe
Shalynn S.


Mistletoe you hang like
my hair.

You have a green skirt that
hangs down.

You have a power to make
people kiss.

You have red balls like
my earrings on my head.

Oh mistletoe it is time
for you to go to sleep.


Ms. McCormick, Rm. 214
3rd Grade

Present Present
Ernesto C.


present
present
you
are so soft
you are
so magic

what would
I feel?
I would feel
cardboard

I would
hop hop
into the
Christmas
tree.

Little, Little Presents
Denise N.


Little, little present
you are very
soft and
dark.
You are more
than a pair of
shoes.

Who found you under
the tree and were
you hiding? I would
like to get you because
you smell real good for
me.

I will
hug you real
hard and I'll squish
you.

Little Star
Karina C.


I am all alone on top of
the Christmas tree, a person
holds me until he or she gets
there. When I get on top of
the Christmas tree I glow.
I feel so alone that no one
is here with me. But one day
when I felt so alone, a boy
came to hug me and
I never felt alone again.
The next week the same
boy came back
but he had something behind
his back - he got me a friend.

The Little Lonely Menorah
Loreto G.


Little Menorah
Little lonely Menorah
You are so lonely with eight plain arms
You are so small
the air can lift you up.
But don't worry
you will not be
alone, you'll have
eight friends, one in each
arm. You will
be warm, as if you
were wearing a coat.

The Cookies and the Milk
Marlen N.


"Hey" cookie and milk, you smell so chocolatey
and the milk like it comes from a cow in
Mexico. i will eat you even if you cry
"Oh my God it is going to eat me"
Milk I will drink you for my stomach
will be so warm and your friends
OK!

Mrs. Rodriguez, Rm. 401
5th Grade

Star
Ryan V.


Star
Shiny golden star
Are you happy when you shine
Or are you sad when you don't glisten?

You escaped from your flock
And landed on my tree
Which I understand
Because trees can call a star

You shine so brightly when you see a box
Do not worry star
After Christmas you are sent free
Back to make more wishes and miracles

And so goodbye for Christmas had ended
I know you will see me again
So hurry up you must flee
For the other stars have almost left.

Big Icicles
Sigitas A.


big icicles,
big looming icicles,
you shine like gold when
the sun shines

and you howl when
the wind blows through
the cave in which
you live peacefully

you cry when it gets
too warm
if it gets too noisy,
you get angry

when you get angry,
you fall,
and with your sharp
fist you try to destroy the noise.

Christmas Ribbon
Jacqueline M.


Little ribbon, little ribbon, how you shimmer
with a smile. Who tied you? Why are you
this color? I will put you on a Christmas
tree and then you will shine with
such desire.

Snowflake
Paula V.


White, round
play, fall, fly
Little, soft
star
it is sleeping

Snowman
Beverly A.


big snowman
big silent Christmas snowman
you are so big
you are round

who found you in the snow
and were you very sad to come with me?
see i will love you
because you smell like salt

i will kiss your nose
and hug you tight
just as your mother would,
only don't be afraid

look at your eyes
that always cry when you are only
dreaming of being happy with someone
your nose, your eyes, and soft snow

Ms. Breen, Rm. 201
3rd Grade

Mistletoe
Andrew F.


Mistletoe, mistletoe with
a pretty red bow. You hang
from the doorway waiting
for someone to go.

Christmas
Jesica G.


Bells can make
a sound. They are
shiny. And the
color is gold, red, or
silver. They would be
happy. And they would
be very excited. I
would show them
in the window.

Snowflakes
Bianca V.


Little snowflake you look like a flower
you are so white. You melt when we
touch you.

Little Tinsel
Julie G.


little tinsel dancing around the tree.
how could they have found you
in a store? You are happy because people
look at you. I will hang you
on a Christmas tree, people stare.

No comments: