About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, December 5, 2007

The moon sleeps me: Personification Part II (3rd grade)

We devoted a second week to these challenging, complex, and diverse personification poems. One class got caught up in writing about their hands, I believe after Daniel wrote his stunning piece (which is below).

Also, the students have taken to drawing on the borders and bottoms of their poetry, which I've begun encouraging them to do once they are finished writing their poem. This assignment especially prompted an explosion of illustrations.


###

Ms. Vilchis, Rm. 202, 3rd grade

The Moon and The World
Zamira M.


The moon said, “You should
be enjoying things.”
“Why?”
“Because you always are sad.”

There is a world to see.
You are in a world. Do you
see things?”
“No. It’s always dark.”

“It’s because your glasses
are dirty.”


(My right hand said)
Daniel R.


My right hand said, “Get to
work to be smarter. If you write
a lot you may get better in writing
and they will know what you are
writing in the paper. And they will
understand you. Because you will get smarter
and you are better and you will get A+
in writing. And you will be one of the
good spellers.”


The Moon Sleeps Me
Karina V.


The moon sleeps me at night
to be tomorrow a good day
for me to do. I can sleep
at night to do a day to play.
The moon is all the night. If you
sleep at night, the stars are
staying when the sun comes up.

###

Ms. Vazzana, Rm. 104, 3rd grade

The Sun and Me
Jhoan B.


I talk to the sun. The sun
talks to me.

I take him to a date which he
destroys.

He gets sleepy. I get sleepy.
The sun goes to sleep. I go to
sleep.

In the morning, the sun
says, “Good morning.” I say,
“Good morning.”

At day the sun shines like
flowers.

At night the sun is dark and
not there.


When My Plants Grow
Angelica V.


I see the flowers and the sky raining
so the flowers can grow big and smart.
The flowers say, “I want water. And a sun
too.”


Good Night Says Moon
Andrea R.


When I go to sleep I say to the moon, “Good night.”
The next day I say to the moon, “You go to school for me."

###

Ms. Hamdan, Rm. B15, 3rd grade

The House
Jordy D.


The house started to talk to me
and it said, “It’s not easy carrying lots of
things.”

I said, “I could carry at least six
small objects.”

The house said, “I carry over 100 things.”

I said, “Really?”

The house said, “I carry everything
you own plus more.”

I said, “WOW.”


The Moon
Marcos B.


The moon said, “I am like a light and
bright like him.” In the middle of the
moon shines his face. I see him every
night at midnight. He sees me when I go to
sleep. And tomorrow I will see him again.


The Car
Joel D.


The car is laying by
the tree. While the car is
asleep. While the car
sees. While the car
falls in the sea.

No comments: