About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Body Part Poems

In her poem, "Anatomy Lesson #2: The Palpation of Bony Landmarks," Katrina Vandenberg urges readers to see beyond the surface of things, beyond the cold and confusing language of science, using "the art of finding" to explore deeper issues of love, compassion and understanding. The poem's anatomical jargon was discussed, and students were asked to consider an under-appreciated body part in poems of their own.


Ms. Fialkowski (402)


Skin & Body

Janet H.


Skin covers your inside.

Your skin sometimes feels

cold. Your skin is different

colors. Your skin is in all

the body. Your eyes help you

see. Your eyes help you sleep

ZZZ. Your eyes are different

colors. Your bones help you

walk and move. Now I am

waving goodbye with my

hand.


My Body

David V.


The body has

skin to

protect it

from germs.

The

legs help you

run

fast.

The

hands are to

grab things.

The arm helps

the hands to

move. Feet are

to walk. Eyes

are to see.

Ears are to

hear. Nose is to

breathe.


My Body!!!

Damian V.


My body is special. I crack my body every day.

My knee, my fingers, my elbow, my toes. My body

is smooth and soft, it is always skin.


Ms. Michel (403)


Guess What Am I?

Griselda A.


I am as big as your fist. I

pump blood when I beat. When

you eat candy I make you

go hyper. When you run I

beat so much that you

have to sit for a while.

Also when you are scared

I beat too much. Guess what

am I? (A heart.)


Untitled (Body Part Poem)

Jose M.


One

day my

friend told

me that he


broke his

arm because

he fell on the

playground.


And I asked

him did it

hurt and he said no.


Then he told

me that he

was going

to go to


the slide

and he

fell there

and his


mom said

let's go

to the

doctor


and

the

doctor

said


that

his

arm

was


broken

from

the

fall


and

he

was

okay.


The

doctor

said

okay.


And

we

were

friends


again

for

ever

and


we

went

to

the


movies

and

we

go.


The Brain

Yulissa R.


The brain is

on your

head. It

helps you think,


and if you

didn't have a brain

you wouldn't

know nothing,


and you wouldn't

know who you

are if

they called


your name,

you would just

be standing

there. That's


why we have

a brain

and by eating

healthy food

you're feeding

your brain

and you and your

brain have energy.


Ms. Hughesdon (407)


The Skull

Diego B.


The skull protects our brain

from the headers in soccer

and crazy falls

and carrying our eyes.

The skull touches our skin

and it holds our hair.


Eyes

Jose B.


Eyes make you see and to

see your friends, your TV, your

parents. And see cake.


The Hands

David F.


My hands with

five fingers they

look like five

long trees with

lines the lines

look like a

long tree with

long lines the

palm of my

hand the veins

look like stripes

of the color green

the line in the

palm looks like

a deep dark valley.


Skin

Rodolfo P.


My skin so soft and smooth but kind

of hard and has a lot of bruises and

hairy and my green veins and some birthmarks

on it. My skin is also white and tan.

The thickest part of the body.


Ms. Montoya (405)


Untitled (Body Part Poem)

Jennifer A.


In my head

I can learn

by teaching

me like my brain I

can learn math and

reading and writing too

and I can do maps like

to find some states and

any mouth I can talk

and eat too and I can

laugh and make

jokes too.


My Head

Ramiro G.


My head, where my eyes are in place

so I can see the world, where my

nose is so I can smell the wind,

where my mouth is so I can taste

food, where my brain is, where my in-

formation is in my head.


The Nose

Yadid G.


The nose,

small, with two holes

on the bottom,

in your head

with mucus inside

all green or all

gooey. The nose,

where you breathe,

where you smell,

the nose.


Teeth

Jose P.


Teeth is what you chew with, and so

you need to brush them. Sometimes I think

when will a tooth fall out, wondering. I

almost never think about it. Only when

I brush them or look into the mirror.

Once the second set is there, you need

to take care. And sharks, when teeth fall out, they

just keep growing and growing. I wonder

how do teeth grow out of the pink stuff

in your mouth, where does it come from?

Where is it when you have baby teeth, where's

the new one? I'm just wondering.


Untitled (Body Part Poem)

Aaron R.


My friends have different bones.

I have my bones, I have a stomach.

I have a body, I have lots of

bones in my body. One of my bones

is funny, they are called funny bones.

I have a stomach where my

food goes to. I am made

out of bones, I have about

200 bones in my body. I am really

happy, boy it is just really funny.


Ms. Graefen (404)


Untitled (Body Part Poem)

Alejandro A.


We all have elbows.

Our elbows are joints.

The joints meet an-

other part of the

body.

The elbow has other

partners that are

joints, like our knee

joint, hip joint, and

the last but not least

is the shoulder joint.


My Hand!

Vanessa C.


My hand has five fingers.

My hand is big.

My hand has a ring.

My hand is cool.

My hand could hold things.

I could write with my hand.

My hand works hard!


Pinkie

Diego C.


My pinkie, it's

small, funny looking,

with its friend Mr. Nail.

Flexible, sometimes cracking.

Very loud. Two lines in between.


Larynx, Trachea, Bronchial Tubes

Isaac G.


So small is the larynx, no larynx,

no talking. Such a little part,

so big a role. Trachea, a part of life

is breathing, no trachea, no breathing.

Suffering, the life of no breathing

is a painful experience. Bronchial tubes,

carry air, carbon dioxide, inhale, exhale.

No tubes, no air, no bronchial tubes, no

trachea, no trachea, no larynx, no larynx,

no throat, no life.


Mr. Heredia (414)


My Broken Arm

Deisy C.


It was a day in

my life when

I broke

my arm.

I was screaming

aaa.”

I broke

my arm.

It healed

in three

weeks.

Alright

I can

climb the

tree again.


Body Parts

Fernando P.


The eyes are the

littlest are

lightest

thing in

the body.

The eyes look

like little bouncing

balls, and sometimes

they look

like they are going

to bounce away.

The eyes are wet

and squishy.


Untitled (Body Part Poem)

Jasmine R.


How you crack to never acknowledge

the thought about arthritis.

To ache and to pull them apart.

Able to move them in a bendable

way. A bump of writing at the

most.


No comments: