About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Monday, November 5, 2007

Time Poems

Since this past weekend was the end of daylight savings time, I brought in Joyce Sutphen's wonderful poem, "Book of Hours." In the poem, she describes five hours she would 'keep' in a book, if she could control time. We discussed how even an hour can be very important in an average day, full of surprises, challenges and revelations. Students were then asked to write their own time poems on a variety of themes -- such as if they were clocks, time travelers, 100 years old, could stop time, and so on. Here are some of their amazing responses!


Ms. Fialkowski (402)


A 40 Minute Day
Angel H.


One day I was alone.
Then my cousin came.
We had lots of fun.
We played a long time.
We did this and that.
Took 40 minutes.

Then my other cousin came.
We played video games and
we continued doing it for
quite some time.
Then
they left. I wanted to
continue. It took 40 minutes.

Then my other cousin came.
And we did do the same
thing with my other cousin,
played video games.
We watched movies and altogether
it took 40 minutes.


Poetry of Clocks
Katy R.

Clocks are so slow and boring!
Look it's 10:49 PM and I hear my
dad snoring!

Outside it's cold and chilly!

Clocks that have different colors
look silly!

Kangaroos are faster then
the clocks!

So, the clock goes and goes
but never stops!


Untitled (Time Poem)
Johnny S.

This is me, a digital clock. When
my battery is dead, I rest and
when on I'm working and
usually I work alone.
But when they throw me away
well, let us just say
I hope I will be OK.


Time
Samantha T.

Time is something everyone
may or may not enjoy but once
in an hour anyone could make
a difference and anyone
could make a person happy.
And you may or may not make
a difference but if you tried
and if you're happy that you tried that's all that
matters. I remember once I had a
friend who was mad at
one of my other friends
and it was like time
just flew by. One hour they
weren't friends and the next
hour they were. But in one
hour anybody can make a
person smile, or make a difference.


The Tick Tock
Luis V.

I am a 100 year old clock tick tock
they moved me again and broke the pieces
threw me out some one found me and sold
me for fifteen bucks they fixed and patched me
then I was feeling stronger and tougher
but the words from my mouth tick tock they
gave me new parts and sold me again
after some time I was in a museum of old stuff
then I see that I was trapped they said that old
clock I don't know when I'm going to stop
but for now my name is tick tock


Ms. Michel (403)


Time Difference
Gerardo C.

I went to the flea market
yesterday and thought mmm....
I asked my mom what time is
it? It is 11:00 AM
I thought it feels like 2:00
I told her that because the sun was
up
and it was brighter but colder
it felt like winter but the sun
was up. This is driving me crazy.
Well, time was going slow and I had
my birthday party yesterday at Haunted Trails
and time was going slow like I said
but I have to get used to it.
I guess that is part of life.


Untitled (Time Poem)
Servando C.

One day I watch and watch the clock.
Because I want to go out and see
the stars to spend my time. Because I
want to do my homework out. Then I
want to play with my brother. Then when
we finish playing we can go see the
television. Then when I see the
clock it was 11:00. Because I like
to spend my time out with my
brother.


Losing an Hour
Samuel G.

Yesterday was different. I felt
sad because the sun was
leaving at 4 o'clock. It felt as if I
lost an hour. It was already dark
at 7 o'clock. I felt like I lost
an hour. It felt like I lost
an hour because the sun
was not with me. Wow, I didn't
know an hour can change a lot
of things. But I felt happy because
even if I lost an hour and
the sun at least I didn't
lose my family.


Time to Time
Karen R.

Me and my friends we made four
time to time watches. After we finished
we pushed the button. Like when I was a
baby or in the future. So we all pushed the
button. And we had fun but when I
pushed the button time to time I went to
the clouds and I saw someone, it was
God. So I pushed the button time to
time. All my friends were, “Wait for me.” They
said, “Where were you?” So I went to
my room. It is a secret but I can't tell
you where I went. Time to time.


Ms. Hughesdon (407)


Time
Itzamari C.

It was that hour sometime
in the day that I felt
happy. I felt as if someone
lifted me up like the day
I was born. I felt such
a joy that I couldn't explain
how I felt.

An hour later I was sad. The
minutes that passed, I felt
worse. I felt a pain in my
heart that I was crying.

Tick tock was all I heard
when time was changing. I
felt like the earth stopped. I
felt as if I shouldn't say
anything because time was
going fast. I was very scared.

A few hours later it was
time to go to bed. I will
never forget that wonderful
time in that day.


Untitled (Time Poem)
Cesar M.

Time, what would it
be like to be a time traveler.
Going forward and backwards
in time. Seeing the future
and the past times. Just imagine
if you go to the future you
could see the buildings in the sky and
cars flying. If you go to the past
you might see dinosaurs, cave men,
Indians, and wars from long ago.
What a life it is to be a
time traveler.


Untitled (Time Poem)
Carlos M.

It is so beautiful to make
and eat in an hour. Pancakes
and eggs that smell like
a neat odor. Coffee with me
so I could be hot for the day.

The fresh wind when I go
walking for an hour. Dogs barking
loudly,
woof, woof. People talking,
kids running and some falling.
Shiny houses fill the block, oh it is a beautiful day.

Doing chores at the house for one
hour. Washing dishes, making beds,
it feels good. Cleaning the kitchen
and the sofa, it's clean, yeah!


Hour Poem
Maria M.

The hour changes each
time as the world
moves around. It takes
time to do something,
and it takes time to
finish doing something.
When you wake up
and you say what time
is it, and you look at the clock
and it's 7:30 AM you say
why did I wake up so early?
Why does the time go
so slow when you are
awake so early and you
got nothing to do, just
to wonder and imagine
when none of my
family are awake to play with. Oh
gosh you're talking about
them and someone came
out, good thing.


Untitled (Time Poem)
Rodolfo P.

If it was a hundred years later I would be a hundred
ten years old. I think the year would be 3007.
I would look like a man with gray hair, glasses
and probably wrinkles. I would want to have
muscles and no fat on me because I'll be
old and look ugly already, my hair will grow
and I could cut it. I will have two
jobs and in five years I will retire. And
rest.


Daylight Savings
Gustavo R.

We're watching Spider-Man 3

My sister was worried about the time

The time had said 12:00 AM

We need to go to church,” said sis

Dad said, “It's actually eleven, little miss.”

The next day the time had changed

A noise woke up my baby sister and I took the blame

That Sunday night I went to bed, then......

I woke up at six in the morning


Time
Yvette T.

I am a clock
I have numbers
My time changes every minute
The time changed one hour back this week
It's slow on hours
But on minutes it is so fast
I wonder if people know what
time is it?
I know because I am a clock
I have AM and PM
My hours are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,
9,10
Don't forget 11 and 12
And my name is Ms. Clock
At 7:30 AM I wake up
The at 9:00 AM my owner polishes
me
When the sun comes up I am
shiny like the sun
My clock family is almost like
me
But don't forget the time okay


Ms. Montoya (405)


The Time
Ana C.

My mother and I went to Tar-
get and spent like three hours and only
bought clothes for Thanksgiving. When I
saw the time I was all like we
spent a lot of time, three hours.

At 3:20 PM we went to
Wal-Mart. My father bought me some
jeans like for rockers and I love them
and a shirt and a jacket. Then it was
5:30 PM. I really like to go shop-
ping with my mom.

At 6:15 PM we went to K-Mart
and bought new shoes for my brother
and some clothes for my sister's ba-
by, Jesus. We took one hour. I told
my mother that was a long time.
I wish I was a watch to stop
the time.

Then we went to Walgreen's
and bought two cameras and wallpaper,
conditioner, and some bags of chips. We
spent one-and-a-half hours.

We went home. It was
7:45 PM. Then we ate and I did my
homework and went to my friend's
house and came back at 3:50 AM.
I told my mom I didn't feel the
time.


Time
Yadid G.

In California it was a sunny day. I woke up.
6:00 AM I went to the river.
8:00 AM I went to the park.
9:00 AM it started to rain.
At 9:30 AM it was raining cats and dogs.
10:30 AM I went to play in the rain.
12:00 PM I went back home.
12:30 PM I took a shower.
1:00 PM I used the computer.
At 11:00 PM I went to sleep.
It's incredible how a computer
can take over your mind. Just to see
something and time went passing
through.


If the World Will Stop By Me
Natalie T.

If the world will stop by me
it will be great. I could unfreeze my friends,
I could hang out with my friends. We
could eat ice cream and even a cold
drink. If I could stop the time it will
be awesome to be in the streets with
no worry about it. It will be great,
just great. I could do anything I
want, take clothes and stuff from the
stores with paying not a lot.


Ms. Graefen (404)


Past & Future
Alexandra C.

The clock is moving back in
time. The Titanic already
sunk very slowly or fast I
don't remember but it sank. The clock is moving
to the future, we are using
flying cars. That is fun but
dangerous but who cares. The war in Iraq hasn't
stopped, why I wonder why?
The clock is going back in
time to 2001, the tower twins
are still standing but not
for long. I'm going back to
the seventies with my fancy
shirt and dancing, but
if you go back to the
past or future something
will happen!
But why?


Untitled (Time Poem)
Mirella H.

The time looks like a circle.
It has numbers 1 to 12.
The numbers are counted by 5.
The clock helps you know
what time is today, explaining
what time it is now and when
it's time to go home. The
clock has two hands, one smaller
and the other bigger and has a red
line in the middle that moves.


Time (Clock)
Maggie M.

I hate the time, time, time, time.
All I do is hang on the wall and tell time
I hate time!
There's nothing to do, just tell time.
I hate time!
I just hate it cause they ask for the time
and I'm right there to tell the time.

But even if I hate it I have to
stick with it because it's my
job.

I hate time!


Untitled (Time Poem)
Alejandro R.

I would want to
go back in time so
I can play football
but that day I had
deja vu. I played
football than I hit
my head. Then I was
sleeping. The day I played
football was a Sunday
but I woke up in my
cousin's house around 6:00 AM.
Also it was a Saturday.
Then I was getting up then
I fell. Then I found myself
in bed in my room and it was
6:00. Then I went to sleep.
Then I was back at my
cousin's house. Then I said
forget it I'm going
to sleep


Mr. Heredia (414)


What I Think About Time
Javier C.

The time changes
The time runs
The time goes as slow as a turtle
The time goes tick, tick, tick.
The time is like a giant balloon
The time is what we all need
The time changes the day, month, and
year.
The time I see is asleep
like me.


I'm a Clock So What
Lucero E.

I'm a clock I tick and tock.
I have an hour hand, a minute
hand and even a second hand.
I'm a clock that you could
hang on the wall. I love
people looking at me and checking
time, it makes me feel important.
To some people, I am important.
My numbers count from 1 to 12.
I never stop ticking or tocking
unless someone turns me off.
Some people say they love their
clock and not me but I'm a
clock like any other kind.


Untitled (Time Poem)
Amanda H.

I remember this hour when
I was playing in the
pool. It was summer and
I was with my family. It
was sunny and warm
with the pools big, medium
and little, of course. I went
in the big one.

And there was that hour.
It was autumn and we
were gathering all the
crunchy leaves. Then we
would jump in them
and you would hear
crunch,crunch,crunch from
the leaves.

Last there was an hour
when we were in the
park playing basketball and
soccer. We also started to
play on bikes when I
fell. It was a sunny day,
an early day, too.


Lunch Time
Stephanie M.

The hotel servant
waits patiently, he gets
disturbed by the sounds of
customers ringing the bell.

Ding!” He looks at the clock,
lunch time is in three hours. It's
2:45 PM right now. He waits.
He gets depressed. His
tummy is saying: “Please
feed me, I'm hungry.” It's
3:00 PM. He waits impatiently.
He looks at the clock as if
lunch time took forever to
come.
It's 4:00. The hotel servant
is furious. He has wrinkles
on his forehead, three little lines.
It's 5:00 PM, finally the
servant yells, “Lunch time!”


Waiting to Go Home
Cristian M.

I am waiting to go
out of school. Waiting
isn't fun. Minutes seem
like hours. It looks like time
is going very slowly.

Here comes the teacher with
our test. It seems I will
never get out of school.
I get stuck doing the test. “I
wish time can go faster.”

It's barely 12:00 PM.
I have waited an hour
and it seems like two.
After we finish a test
we get another one.

I am never getting
out of here,” I said
in my mind. I look again
at the clock, it is 2:30
PM. Finally I go
home and play my
game.

No comments: