About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Talking to Suns and Trees--3rd graders

We had a good time reading "A True Account of Talking to the Sun on Fire Island" by Frank O'Hara, and "Four Skinny Trees" by Sandra Cisneros, then imagining objects we could spy from our own windows and endow with human characteristics. We found everyday objects giving advice, singing songs, scolding, and listening patiently to complaints. I found that one group of kids actually wanted to write poems about their own hands, which yielded some intriguing results. I plan to take next week to do second drafts of these poems, since this is sort of a sophisticated assignment, and a good opportunity to spend some time revising.

###

Ms. Vilchis, Rm. 202, 3rd grade


The Star
Maricela E.


Last night a star told me, “Make
a wish, make a wish that tells
about your big brother being nice
and to never hit someone. Or maybe
to never fight with your sister,
brother and you. And tell me your
poem please.”


Left Right
Jennifer N.


How the left hand is smart.
“You write fast,” said the right
hand to the left hand. “I’m fast
because I go to school,” replied the
left hand.


Untitled
Carlos L.


I have a toy that
talks to me at night.
He’s scary. In sun
he’s gone.

###

Ms. Vazzana, Rm. 104, 3rd grade


The Sun
Kevin C.


I say to the sun, Go away,
I have to go to sleep.

You are shining too much light
on me

and I have to go to school.


Four Skies Came
Maricarmen J.


The four skies came and said
to me, “Go to bed.”

The sky told me, “Come outside
and run.”

Also the sky told me, “Keep keep
jumping.”

And I am the only one that
understands them.

The four skies, they say to me, “Do
your homework.”


Untitled
Joaquin M.


The sun says, “Don’t touch me
because I am hot.”
I play with the sun every day and
he gives us light.

The sun is big and I am
little.

###

Ms. Hamdan, Rm. B15, 3rd grade


The Wind
Sebastian C.


The wind comes when we come
out. The wind comes in your face with its
feet and red glowing eyes that glow
in the dark. A mouth with big sharp teeth
that are very shiny. I think that’s the sun
but really that’s the wind. The wind has arms
and pointy elbows. The End.


A Star that Talks
Giselle H.


Tonight I see twinkling stars.
It is like if they are playing a music
box. The twinkling star said,
“Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder
what’s your name?” I said, “My name
is Giselle Herrera.” It is if like
the twinkling star put glitter
on. Then the twinkling star said,
“Make a wish and I’ll grant it.”
I said, “I wish there was more than
one twinkling star.” The twinkling star
took out its wand, out of
her room, and she granted my wish.
The moon said, “The next night when
you look out your window, you’ll
see lots of twinkling stars.”


The Wind
Sergio P.


The wind tells you to shut the
window or else it’ll be cold. The wind also
tells you to put on a sweater and jacket
before going outside. When you go outside
you don’t know who is following you.
The wind is. The wind pushes you
and tells you: Walk faster, or run.

No comments: