About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Haikusplosion II

This haiku assignment turned out to be a meaty toothsome project that stretched over a couple of weeks. Deceptively simple in their bite-sized length and crystalline subject matter, haiku sometimes look easier than they are. Below are some new ones, and some that were made over and edited this week, so you can see how they have progressed.


###


Ms. Vilchis, Rm. 202, 3rd grade



Haiku
Vanessa M.


They sky is blue
The bird is singing
The bus is driving


Haiku
Sergio H.


I see the sky
green and pink
when I was playing


Haiku
Jenny N.


In this moment my
sister Kayla is making
trouble all over.


Haiku
Miguel C.


I see rocks crushing each
other in the blue sea of far from here
to the other side.


###


Ms. Vazzana, Rm. 104, 3rd grade


Haiku
Luis M.


The trees are down on the ground.
I hear the birds.
The family is waking up.


Haiku
Karina G.


Outside there are
dogs cats and trees houses
a lot of leaves


Haiku
Angelica V.


The leaves are falling and I like
that they fall to my family too.
My family is so happy that I got big
and my sisters grew a lot.


Hauku
Jhoan B.


in the world the earth
moves but you cannot feel it because
it is moving too slowly


###


Ms. Hamdan, Rm. B15, 3rd grade


Haiku
Ashley A.


My mom is raking
the leaves so we can jump in them.
Me, her, and all them.


Haiku
Jennifer R.


I am thinking about
my friend jumping in the leaves
that are green that are crunching
in fall.


Haiku
Michelle B.


The sky is blue now
The clouds are coming out now
It’s going to rain


Haiku
Jordy D.


Now mom is talking
on the phone to check all the things
are going good.

No comments: