About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Work Poems

Poet, essayist, editor, translator, and former tenant lawyer, Martín Espada writes from the point of view a misunderstood worker in "Jorge the Church Janitor Finally Quits." Students read Espada's poem, discussed its messages regarding racism, pride and human dignity, then wrote work-themed poems of their own.

Ms. Fialkowski, 5th Grade

!!A Big Hair Cut!!
Erica A.


Who knows where
I'm from,
I'm from the
country of a stylist.
I've always cut hair.
There is hair on the floor.

Who can speak
my name,
I understand the
people in the salon,
looking at the chairs
like a car seat.
My name is lost
by everybody calling me.

What I do
is good,
I am good
at cutting hair,
but sometimes have
a bad attitude.
Maybe people will
some day understand why.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Claudia A.


There is my dad
working with cars
fixing them, painting
them.

I want to be
like my dad
but I do not
know how
to do that.

I always wanted
to be a model
or a singer
because I love
it so much.

Maybe I am
not going to
work on that.
I will change
my mind.

Martha the Hotel Cleaner
Jonathan R.


I have many friends,
the mop,
the vacuum,
and my hands.

I hear them talking to me
when I rest. Excited if one knows,
knows that we are kind, truthful,
and helpful.

The magic of my hands,
working until sore,
I don't get paid enough
for this, or make enough cleaning.

I'm not like the lazy lady on
the third floor. I can overcome
any job anytime.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Katy R.


When I grow up I want to be a
teacher. I want to let kids
know what I know. I want
to have a classroom, big and
clean one.

I could walk in the hall straight
to my mail box and see what
I have. I could go to lunch
and eat. I could grade work.

I could see what they're eating and
smell it, too. I could see a lot
of things in my classroom and
this is why I want to be a teacher,
to let kids know what I know.

Untitled (Work Poem)
David V.


Work is what I
do. I help
people in their
needs.

I wear a
clean suit.
Some good
shoes with
that suit. Also a tie.

I help them to
get money or I
save them. I get
a lot of
money. I had
to go to school
for that
job. It takes years
for me to have
that job. I am a
lawyer.

Ms. Michel, 5th Grade

My Future Job
Daniel A.


The job I want
in the
future would
be a super
hero
also I would
want to be a
super hero because
I like to help
a person in trouble.

Even if the
job is helping an
old lady cross the
street I would
like to
be there to help
the person
out.

But really
no one
will remember me
because I'll always
be out to help
people.

Then when I am
gone
I will probably
be known as
the
greatest man that lived.
And last they will
name

something after me
at least I was
a super hero.

My First Job
Alondra B.


Today is my
first day

as a kindergarten
teacher. I have
butterflies in
my tummy.

I really
hope it
goes well.

I don't
want a
noisy classroom

like mine in
kindergarten.

I hope that
they are angels.

Well that's
why I'm here.

To teach
them ABC's
and also 123's

now that
I think
about it
this won't
be quite so
bad.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Servando O.


I think that I want
to be a doctor because
I'd like to be a doctor.

I'd like to be a doctor
because I want
to be a doctor
because I want
to save lives.

I think
that's why I want
to be a doctor and
if somebody in my
house gets sick I
don't have to go
to a doctor.

Ms. Hughesdon, 5th Grade

The Veterinarian Technician
Marlene C.


I wonder if they see
me for who I am
not a person who
takes care of an
ant. They call her
the vet, not by
her name. They
bring her a lion
to check his mane.

waiters
Abel G.


they bring food and take orders
when the people eat there they
leave plates the waiters pick
it up the waiters have
hard times with customers
the customers complain all
day the waiters have to bring
the food fast also they have
to get to the customers' orders
fast too. sometimes they get
little tips and sometimes a lot
they work hard.

How It Feels to Be a Baseball Player
Jesus N.


No one knows how it feels
but it feels good.

It feels like you're the
best if you made it to
the major league

with hundreds of people
around watching you.

And when you eat seeds
on the bench with other players.

But when retirement comes you feel
like a legend and All Star.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Rodolfo P.


A soccer player
I would be the
number ten.

I would
also be
a good sportsman
I
would show
sportsmanship.

I would also
make my
team Chivas
win.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Gustavo R.


Aunt Maritza
works at Blockbuster
sells movies each day
stands there as an owl would
in a tree
stays there all day
and comes back at night

Ms. Montoya, 5th Grade

Untitled (Work Poem)
Ramiro G.


When I grow up I want to be
an astronaut because I could
explore space, find new
planets and float in a
space ship.

Soldier
Juan J.


As a soldier, life is hard. All the work
is what I hate. People disrespect me, as
a prisoner or slave. Using pistols the wrong
way or eating beans, that makes a big
beat. I shall quit, but not today. As in
a war, people in red, the gun fires, as I
watched it explode. This is the
day I shall quit. As I hide, no one
can find me. I went far away, as
I was dead. I have a great life
ahead.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Linet L.


My dad works.
My dad is a baker.
He does not like it.

You could see why
he does not like
it.
He gets home tired.
He works a lot.
You could see why.

I would like to be
a worker.
What job should I
choose?

May I be a police,
firefighter, or an
astronaut?

Could be.

Maybe I could be an
astronaut.
Could be hard
or easy.
Maybe.
May I make
friends.

I want to be
an astronaut.

It could be hard.
Seeing the stars
and searching for
more information.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Natalie T.


When I grow up I
would be a clothes designer.

My work is wonderful,
I can design a shirt, a
skirt, everything I want.
I have my store. I could
do clothes for famous
people, I could see my
art on people. There's many
things to make.

I could design a bag
with cars or flowers or
even flames. I could put
bells or dollars. I could
just use imagination
to create and sell, see
how wonderful I
can make it, any way,
it's wonderful.

Ms. Graefen, 5th Grade

Untitled (Work Poem)
Alejandro A.


The job I would like is a
soccer job, to play with
a team because
I could get
money for my
family.
Each game I play
I get at least 30 thousand
dollars or more and other
teams could buy me and
they may give me more
money, or the same.
I would like to
start with Manchester
United.

Nurse
Elva C.


Some people are
nice, some are not.

Some are sick
some are healthy.

In the hospital
everybody is
quiet. I can
barely hear the
sound of something
moving.

There's someone waiting
for me and I should
attend them.

To Work
Magdalena F.


The hardness of working.
The time you put into working.
Working so tiring.
Working so long
to work...
work, work, work,
work, work, work,
work.

My Job
Maggie M.


I don't like my job
I draw for a living
I don't like it cuz my art is like a
ghost
I draw but it's blank
Today I stop
I will draw but
not for a living

The Job I'll Have
Anthony S.


When I grow up I'm going to be an inventor.
The thing I'm going to do is invent stuff for
you. I will be working and working to put
something together. I will be drawing and
writing just to see what to do. I'm
going to like this job because I will be
drawing. I'm going to be an inventor and
invent things for you.

Mr. Heredia, 5th Grade

Untitled (Work Poem)
Samantha B.


No one does not care
what I do.
All they love is art.
I try, try and try
but once there
I wonder if the pencil
can move.

My art goes high in the sky
but no one sees it.
I wonder why, did I do
something wrong?
I will not draw any more.
Will they stop and see
that there is no more
of me?

Pete the Doorman
Stefanie M.


Standing by the door, Pete
realizes no one is passing by.
He is fatigued, so he places the
doorstop under the door.

He looks across the shallow,
hollow hallway, waiting to see
someone.

Finally someone comes, but
he's moving like a turtle.

Three hours later the lunch bell
rings. The person is barely coming
out when Pete takes the doorstop
out and slams the door, not
noticing the person.

I guess he was too hungry.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Fernando P.


People cheering in the stands
shooting round orange
balls in the
hoop.
Getting the ball, bouncing
it, thump, thump, thump.
When I shoot the
crowd goes wild
because I have the
best job in the
world.

The Teacher
Leslie S.


All I see is
white behind his back.
And his colorful clothes.

Talk, talk, talk.
This, that, this.
What is the capital
of the United States?

Sometimes sleepy.
Sometimes happy.
Sometimes cranky.

Grading papers
B's, A's, C's, D's, F's.
His pen in his hand,
nod, nod, nodding his head.
Disappointed.

Untitled (Work Poem)
Adella S.


No one knows how hard
it is to work late
at night
to cook and clean
to take care of a family
to keep a family alive
or to
take care of the loving
ones and take care
of yourself
to help one another or to
work as hard as you can to
keep the ones you love
safe and healthy

No one knows how hard it is
to work until you
try it

No comments: