About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Haikusplosion

Last week, we read a wide selection of haiku poetry (by Basho, Hideno, Richard Wright, Etheridge Knight, Jorge Luis Borges, and others), discussed the form, and did some extensive prewriting and freewriting to capture moments and generate some raw material. This week, we were ready to write our own! I've included some that adhered particularly well to the traditional haiku structure, but just as much I've included some poems that captured the spirit of a haiku. More to come from the other classes next week!


###


Ms. Vilchis, Rm. 202, 3rd grade



Haiku
Miguel C.


My mom is cooking foods.
I see blue sky.
I hear rocks crushing each other.


Haiku
Daniel R.


I am hearing steps
from Mrs. Vilchis and Mrs. J
walking through the stars


Haiku
Nicole O.


In this moment the leaves are
blowing away. I heard the noise
of an El.


Haiku
Carlos


I hear the music
of the head like a twisted heart
in a practice band.


###


Ms. Hamdan, Rm. B15, 3rd grade


Haiku
Giselle H.


I’m thinking to stop
thinking. Leaves changing colors.
I know what to say.


Haiku
Ashley A.


I am cleaning my room
and I do not want nobody to go
inside of my room.


Haiku
Melissa V.


I am winter and
shivering and
tivery and the
snow is white.


Haiku
Nestor H.


My baby brother
Camilo is crying for
milk in a bottle.

No comments: