About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Sound Poems: Alliteration

This week, I brought in a recording of sound poet bpNichol's "Flower Eyes" (which you can find here). We talked about how the poem doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, but there are a lot of similar consonant and vowel sounds (alliteration). We then made lists of alliterative words and for their poems, the students were to choose a set of these words (or come up with a list of their own) and build poems, letting the sounds of the words determine the course or narrative of their poems. The results were very pleasing to the ear!

Ms. Sandoval-Johnson, Rm. 001

3rd Grade

Luis P.

A snake
will sink
a star fish
will sing sharing
the shoes
superman will
be seventy in
September
I will break
Shields School
by throwing socks
at the building

Alejandra I.

I sing with a
snake and the squid plays the
drums. The star plays the guitar.
The book sunk into small bits of
paper. The snake tries to
bite me. The squid quits
the band. The star quits the
band too. The squid comes back
in 3 days and joins the band again.
And the star comes back in
5 days. The band starts playing
again.

Bernice A.

Alligators make babies and
apples in April. Alligators
heart art. Alvie thinks the
animal alligators are awesome.
Alligators are in America.
An alligator can live in the
alley or in the attic.
Alligators love Annisette very
much. Alvina can live any
where in America. Alligators
can live anywhere in
America too.

...

Mrs. Marfise, Rm. 002
3rd Grade

Noise
Shalynn S.

The moon harp is invisible
in the afternoon with the
steam of the cream on
coffee with the piano with
the nano ipod. With the
empty can with the pan
and the pancakes.

Slow Sally
Troy S.

Slow
Sally
slides
slithery
silently
down
silent
hill
eating
chunky
chocolate
chip
cookies
looking
at
a
streaky
stream

Ciro Q.

Pretty but strange a professional
skater but lived in a dungeon
one day she came tired from
skating in a professional
contest but it was her turn then
she got nervous and didn't
look on the ice and mice
were chasing to get the mice
and she fell and lost

...

Ms. McCormick, Rm. 214
3rd Grade

The Shark
Leandro D.

The Shark
swims and
then he shakes his
little tail shot. The shark wants
to get the little fish but he needs
to be quiet shh!! then he
gets the little fish with
gray and white, yum it's
very good it tastes like chicken

The Flying Balloon!
Yenci S.

The balloon, the balloon is
flying on the noon from my
room it'll soon go through the
moon. Goodbye, goodbye here
is a broom so you can fly through
the shiny moon.

Flea
Nelly Q.

I saw a flea
that flicked to the flower
then it flossed his teeth
his fist flew to the floor
it was snowing he saw snowflakes
he decided to eat frosted flakes

Marlen N.

Yum food...moo cows said shh!
I am going to sleep moon shine on
the sky oh gosh I'm having
a bad day my spoon my food there
on the floor! Hot hot soup yuck
nothing to eat smells like fish a
kiwi of the ocean on the ocean
floor go to your room - no fair! Sister
watches TV, I hop. My room was my
house soon! My birth. Finally my
faith came back. Shhh! Cows again.
I said I hope I will smack them
in the face! Or, or hope I NEVER
was on the farm living here.
I will be a prince soon. I will
become a superstar in Hollywood or
New York. Cakes! Oh boy,
another day!

Isabel C.

I cut myself
With a cup
A cat saw me
I ran downstairs
To the store
I saw something
That stopped me
A lady opened the
Door so I was just
In time before the
Door shut closed
Then I stared to
Look around and
See I was stuck
In the store I
Was scared that
I couldn't get
Out of the store
My mom came and
got me out I
told her I don't
Remember us having
A cat.
I loved the cat
So much I started
To kiss him and
Sleep with him all
Day so I started to
Cry because the cat got
Lost in a dark alley
Full of trash and yucky
Stuff.

...

Mrs. Rodriguez, Rm. 401
5th Grade

Tasty
Alexandra

I ate
a tasty strawberry cake
it hides in my heart
where I can't find it now

Hidden and Hide
Ryan V.

Cowards have hidden hope.
Grown up men have hidden hair.
Your heart burns your hidden hate.
You keep most things hidden because you have a horse.
And you hide your haircut under your jacket.
When robbers are chasing you where do you hide?
In the mountains where it is high.
So remember don't try to hide -
soon your hidden things will be revealed.

Cool Moon
Andrea

The cool moon sites in the dark night
as the cool moon sits in the dark night
the fool tools dance in the night
when the cool moon sits in the dark night
and the fool tools dance in the night
the cuckoo spoons spoons work
in the night.

...

Ms. Breen, Rm. 201
3rd Grade

Alejandro C.

Moon monkeys jump, they
like to jump and they like to eat and they
like water and they go to sleep
and they wake up.

Strawberry
Julie

A strawberry is a strong fruit. A
strawberry will never strike. Maybe
you won't find a strawberry
in the street because it is
such a special fruit. A strawberry
doesn't have stripes.

The Poem That Starts With Oo
Celeste P.

Boo!! I could see you
I see you too
I see a moon
I have a loose tooth
In June I made stew with a
spoon I sat in the stairs in
June to watch the moon I
see a cool boy the rhymes
with Troy

No comments: