About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Monday, April 21, 2008

Permutation / Spare Parts Poems

Permutation, a variation on cut-up poetry, involves taking a set of words and rearranging them to create a new phrase or poem. Making sense is not a requirement of permutation poetry, but it is a challenge to try. As an example, we read and discussed Brion Gysin's "Rub out the Write Word." We then took Emily Dickinson's poem, "It's all I have to bring today," and created brand new permutations from its text. Students were asked to use as many words as possible, without adding or duplicating any, and/or changing verb tenses, agreeing that certain words could be left out of their final poems if necessary – thus the subtitle, Spare Parts Poems.

Ms. Fialkowski, 5th Grade

Untitled
Ezekiel A.

Should I bring all the bees. It's all
I have my heart the fields which in
clover dwell. Some meadows could be beside
my heart. My heart this wide all you count
sure the sum could tell one and all.

Untitled
Virginia B.

All I forget this one heart
I bring beside this clover
and in the meadows wide. Bees
dwell. Is all today my heart. Some
could tell you count the fields.

My Spare Parts Poem
Ivory G.

I have today, This, my heart,
beside my fields, wide, be sure
count, forget one, which my heart,
and dwell.

Untitled
Oscar M.

I bring this heart today.
It's my heart I should forget.
My heart and all bees.

Untitled
Crecesio P.

Today it's all I have to bring.
Beside my heart and this.
My heart and this and all the fields.
Meadows wide and all the.
Sure you count I forget.
Sum could tell the one some.
My heart and the Bees and all this.
The clover dwell which in should be.

Passion
Jonathan R.

It's my heart, my wide heart beside,
The heart in all meadows and fields,
Bring this sum, this someone
could tell, the Bees today, all to
a clover, and you should count,
I forget, I have to be sure, all and
my!

I bring the.....
Marbella R.

I bring my heart
beside all the meadows
wide.
It's all I should
tell you today
the bees which
count sum fields
this, in the clover dwell
this and my heart
be sure to have
some one and
forget all
and my heart
and this
and could
all and
the,
the...

Untitled
Johnny S.

I bring this heart today.
And all the Bees in which the clover dwell.
And all the meadows wide.

Untitled
Steven S.

I forget to bring. Clovers
and Bees at the fields. Today
this heart beside meadows could
tell this heart to count. It's
all my heart to Be dwell and
wide. I should have all the clovers
and Bees.

Ms. Michel, 5th Grade

Untitled
Angel B.

Today beside fields I forget
to count the Bees I have.

Untitled
Giovanni F.

All the wide meadows tell my
heart clover and bees dwell.
Sum. This in which I forget all
fields. Today bring my heart beside
this. Be sure it's my heart.
Some one should count. And all
could have this.

Untitled
Eddie L.

My heart and all meadows
beside you. It's all my
heart could tell the
Bees. Be sure to bring
today my heart. Should
I forget the clover
dwell. All the fields wide
count.

Untitled
Jessica M.

Today I have my heart
to bring and beside all
the fields should I count
clover and the sum and
all this meadows one sure
my heart some all
and this the
which tell
my
Heart

Untitled
Emmanuel R.

All the wide meadows all
the Bees in the Clover
dwell to Bring today in my
heart I forget that they belong
in the field.

Untitled
Magdalena R.

The Bees clover dwell
This heart brings meadows
This heart could tell
Today It's all I have
should the fields count
I forget the sum
beside my heart which
wide the all same
The
This
This
Today
Should
I
beside
Wide

Untitled
Yulissa R.

Its all my heart clover.
One this count you.
And could fields forget
The heart which sum.
Should be sure some bees.

Untitled
Alvaro S.

All bees and meadows beside
my heart. You should count the
sum. I could tell some one
this. I bring my heart today.
Which the fields sure wide.

Untitled
Daisy V.

The heart I have to
bring today I should forget
all the Bees. Be sure
you count on the heart.
Someone could tell the
wide meadows.

Ms. Hughesdon, 5th Grade

My Heart
Claudia A.

The heart goes to all
the fields. Be sure
you count all the
Bees. It's all I
have to bring today.
Beside this heart
could tell which
clover dwell. I
should forget the
meadow wide.

Untitled
Itzamari C.

Today I should count Bees
in the Clover dwell. This heart
could tell all the fields. I forget
to bring all my heart and beside
all the wide Meadows. Some you
one my heart. This Which the
sum and all the sure.

Untitled
Marlene C.

It's all to bring today
This heart beside this
heart all fields
All meadows wide
Be sure count Bees
I forget Clover dwell
Some
Heart
tell
one
This

Untitled
Brian D.

I bring my heart wide
you count one heart
one the heart
I should forget
the sum.

Untitled
Anheli D.

I bring today
My heart all wide
The Bees in the dwell, fields
I forget the meadows you could tell
This should count sum my heart
It's all Clover
Which meadows my heart.

Untitled
David F.

All the Bees and meadows
could Be in wide fields – I
forget the sum. Beside, all
could tell. Sure you count all
the Clover.

Untitled
Abel G.

clover fields and meadows I have to
bring

all the Bees beside my heart could
tell I forget.

Be sure you count this and my wide
heart.

Untitled
Maria M.

All I have today it's my heart.
All the fields you count
it's in my heart.
This clover dwell one
meadows.
I could tell the wide.
All the Bees should
forget.
Be sure I bring my heart
today in the sum.

Untitled
Jesus N.

It's today have bring
this heart beside wide
Be my heart sure
This dwell one the sum
This my heart and fields and Meadows
you count Bees which in
the clover
this and all the all
And all the some should I
forget
some tell
my heart could bring to
and all the

Untitled
Brenda R.

It's All I have to bring today
besides my heart. You count all the
Bees and clover in the fields.
Should I forget my heart.
Some of the sum could tell.

Untitled
Gustavo R.

be sure you count the Bees

and all the wide meadows

which my heart should forget

I have to bring today the clover

my heart and this heart

beside the fields

It's all one sum

Someone could tell this and all

Untitled
Yvette T.

This today bring my
heart in the fields –
The Bees forget
I tell the Clover to
dwell –
This it's my heart
beside the meadows
wide –

Ms. Montoya, 5th Grade

Untitled
Ramiro G.

my fields and meadows
bring bring bees beside my
heart which I forget

Untitled
Cynthia G.

I forget I have this heart
It's all my heart, today my heart
could tell beside this and this
should count to bring all the fields
and my wide meadows, you and
the sum, and be sure all the
Clover dwell. Which in the
Bees all the some one, and, and.....

My heart
Juan J.

Clover dwell in my heart. My heart, should I
forget? Be sure to count all the bees in my
heart. All the fields, and all the meadows, could
tell the sum. Beside this, it's all I have to
bring today.

Untitled
Ivan M.

It's all wide, I could tell
the fields and clover dwell
My heart, this heart
I should, one forget
I bring today the heart
one count

Untitled
Eric P.

It's This be This this And some which
and all one in and sure all I you the heart
bees forget fields heart heart meadows today I
my my the have my to sum count clover
could should dwell bring tell and wide and
all the all beside I

Untitled
Diana R.

meadows bring Bees beside
my heart count some clover
fields this wide dwell
all I forget should be
one sum all I could
tell in this it's my
heart which today you
have

Ms. Graefen, 5th Grade

Untitled
Elva C.

I have to bring my heart, my heart, my
heart. Besides the field.
All meadows wide be sure you
count, all bees clover dwell, I could tell
someone that's all.

Untitled
Alyssa D.

It's my heart. Beside
the fields – Meadows wide
Bees all dwell – which
my clover heart could tell
sum count, sure you be
all my heart could bring
today.

Something
Isaac G.

I bring Bees today
My Heart, and all the fields, sum
My Heart, it's beside
count, all the wide meadows
My Heart, could tell all I forget
In clover dwell

Untitled
Mirella H.

Today I bring my heart to my bees
the meadows the fields
that. I count the sum and my
Clover dwell in my heart.
This my heart all my wide I forget
and could tell this.

Untitled
Eliliana L.

today all I have to bring
my heart and this

my heart and the fields
the tell I have to tell

Untitled
Rocio M.

Bees could tell the clover dwell
My heart all field
Be sure the meadows and
heart I some forget.
Today beside the wide I should
sum It all.

Untitled
Roberto R.

I bring fields
to my heart.
All the bees
on meadows.
I have to forget
my heart.

Untitled
Silvia R.

It's all to bring today
Be sure some one
could tell this and
the bees. All the
fields – should my heart
forget. You count all
the meadows. This, this
and my heart.
Beside the wide
Which in my heart I
have to be sure.

Untitled
Anthony S.

I bring my heart today beside the
fields, all the Bees, should I count, sure,
could you tell the sum, it's one.

Mr. Heredia, 5th Grade

Untitled
Brenda A.

It's all I have my heart,
and all the meadows wide –
beside my heart and the fields –
should I forget to bring today –
all the Bees which in the
clover dwell.

Untitled
Samantha B.

I have bees in my heart
My heart and clover beside
Today this all bring
My heart fields wide
This meadow I forget and some
sure.

Untitled
Ana C.

I and my heart beside this

the Bees in the Clover

My heart forget Some one

the Sum Could tell this
Be sure

It's all and all the meadows
wide.

Untitled
Carina G.

My heart and the
fields
I count the Bees
It's dwell today
I bring my heart to
you
some forget my heart
All beside and one all
And this sum meadows

Untitled
Stephanie M.

I should count all my meadows
and my fields. The bees
beside my heart dwell. I forget
someone in this heart today. I
could tell it's wide.

Untitled
Cristian M.

I bring this heart, and my count today, all fields
could tell my heart. All meadows and heart and
Bees dwell in the clover. I forget the sum. Beside
you should. It's all wide, have this.

Untitled
Jesse R.

I bring my heart today.
Be someone beside this
fields. It's this all I
bring. Sure you count my heart.
This sum could tell my heart.

I and my heart beside
Adela S.

I and my heart beside –
and all the Clover dwell –
my heart and all the
Fields –
This meadows wide and all
the bees could tell I
forget –
Be sure my heart count
the sum –
It's all I have to bring
you.

No comments: