About Hands on Stanzas

Hands on Stanzas, the educational outreach program of the Poetry Center of Chicago places professional, teaching Poets in residence at Chicago Public Schools across the city. Poets teach the reading, discussion, and writing of poetry to 3 classes over the course of 20 classroom visits, typically from October through April. Students improve their reading, writing, and public speaking skills, and participating teachers report improved motivation and academic confidence. You can contact Cassie Sparkman, Director of the Hands on Stanzas program, by phone: 312.629.1665 or by email: csparkman(at)poetrycenter.org for more information.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

This is a poem. (3rd grade)

Over the winter break, I read For Love by Robert Creeley, and shared his poem, "Please," with the students today. It's a poem that refers to itself as a poem, which I find to be a curious and fun construction, and one that I thought the kids could dig into. I invited them to write a poem that could make statements like: "This poem is for..." "This poem is about..." etc. I also asked that they include a QUESTION, an ANIMAL, and the NAME of someone they know (all of which Creeley's poem does). Many of the students took a theme or idea presented by Creeley's poem (violence, loneliness, lostness), and riffed on those. I'm also seeing other lessons, like personification and metaphor, integrating into these poems. Fun!

###

Ms. Vilchis, Rm. 202, 3rd grade

You Know
Lesly L.


This is a poem for...

You know.

I know sometimes you know
and sometimes you don't know.
I know what is the animal
that has ears and four legs.
It's the donkey. What is the
animal with four legs and
is in the water?
It's the frog.


Colors Colors Everywhere
Nicole O.


This is a poem for colors.
The colors are dancing, and they're
saying, "Hello everybody, we're dancing."
The colors are going to the
movies and they're eating popcorn. Then
they go to school and they say,
"Hello everybody."


Kids
for Lesly Lopez
Andrea P.


Oh Lesly let's go.
This is a poem for Vanessa Melesio.
Everywhere I see
kids shooting. Kids kids kids kids.
This is a poem for Citlali Sanchez.
I want to go to my house to
my house. This is a poem about
a tiger that was lazy. Lazy.
Tiger. Lazy. Tiger. I want you
to go to school. Are you goofy,
mad, excited?


A Poem
Sergio H.


This is a poem for Joaquin. Tired like a turtle
that goes slow on day and night. I know
someone that is my friend and he likes
to play. He likes to play the PSP and
Playstation. My friend and me have
the same game for the PSP. Please come
to my house if you feel alone.

###

Ms. Vazzana, Rm. 104, 3rd grade

Little Girl is Lost
Alexsandra A.


A little girl that was
lost says, "I want to go home
but I do not know where is
my house," says girl to a
boy and the boy said, "Do you
know who is your mom?"
"Yes, but I don't know
where is my mom."
This poem is for my mom.


Bird
Yacsel H.


This poem is about a bird who can fly.
He was tired of flying.
He can fly because he has to
fly and fly tired and tired.


My Best Friend
Angelica V.


This poem is for Alexsandra.
A little dog that died.
Are you sad, Alexsandra?
Do you know someone?


All Kinds of Things
Hazael G.


This poem is for God.
Oh, God, where are you, I need
to talk with you. In Iraq
is shooting, shooting, and
shooting at people and dying.
People die here too.
How do you feel?

###

Ms. Hamdan, Rm. B15, 3rd grade

Untitled
Zalma R.


This poem is for puppy.
A lazy puppy. A friendly tiger.
A smart monkey. This is for
Michelle. Are you lazy, friendly, and smart?
This is for Jazmin. A horse so
sleepy. People so smart like monkeys.
Are you as friendly as a tiger?
Tell us tell us.


Hello for Ms. Hamdan
Giselle H.


The dog is trying to say hello
to the beauty queen Ms. Hamdan. Mr.
Heartman is trying to give the model Ms.
Hamdan a crown that says, "Hello, Model."
She appreciates the attention but she
wishes she was just a plain
old person. She tells them both. Mr.
Heartman and the dalmation dog dropped
their mouths open. Then along comes
the mice from Alvin and the Chipmunks.
They sing to Ms. Hamdan a song.
They she asks, "Why are you doing
this for me today? It's not my
birthday."


Untitled
Sergio P.


This is a poem for a
hammerhead shark.
Hammerhead shark hammer
head shark don't swim away.
How fast do you swim? Take
my friend for a ride while
there is no shark fight.


The Poem of People
Angel A.


This poem is for Ms. Hamdan.
My uncle is nice. Mr. Hartman
is so funny. My favorite animal
is a lion, tiger, and a leopard.
What's your favorite animal?
Who's your favorite class?
Who is smart from your class?

1 comment:

Ian Bonner said...

These might be my favorites so far. I think I might have seen the colors at the movies last night.

Keep up the good work.